How to calculate the change in kinetic energy on a plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a crate is pulled up a rough incline with an initial speed of 1.55 m/s. The crate is pulled a distance of 9.33 m by a 150 N force, and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Using the given information, the change in kinetic energy of the crate is calculated to be 1399.5 J, taking into account the force of friction and the angle of the incline."
governergrimm

Homework Statement

A crate is pulled by a force (parallel to the incline) up a rough incline. The crate has an initial speed shown in the figure below. The crate is pulled a distance of 9.33 m on the incline by a 150 N force. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s 2 . What is the change in kinetic energy of the crate? Answer in units of J.
Mass = 11kg
Angle of the incline (θ)= 20°
Initial Velocity = 1.55 m/s
μ = .308
D= 9.33 Meters
Force Applied = 150N
g=9.8

Homework Equations

Ff= μN
W=Fd=ΔKE
Fapplied -Ff=Fnetx
FnetVertical =0

The Attempt at a Solution

N-mgcosθ=0
N=mgcosθ
Fa-Ff=Fnet
Fa-μN
Fa-μmgcosθ=Fnet
150-(.308)(11)(9.8)cos(20°)=118.8
W=ΔKE = 118.8(9.33) = 1399.5

Not sure what I am missing but it is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've forgotten the other (parallel-to-the-plane) component of gravity.

My force should look like this then?

force applied - force friction - mgsinθ= Fnet

Is that all that I'm missing?
Thanks!

1. How do I calculate the change in kinetic energy on a plane?

To calculate the change in kinetic energy on a plane, you will need to know the mass and velocity of the plane before and after the change in motion. The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. Subtract the initial kinetic energy from the final kinetic energy to determine the change.

2. What units should I use for calculating kinetic energy on a plane?

Kinetic energy is typically measured in joules (J) or sometimes in kilojoules (kJ). When calculating the change in kinetic energy on a plane, make sure to use consistent units for mass (in kilograms) and velocity (in meters per second).

3. Does the change in kinetic energy on a plane affect its flight?

Yes, the change in kinetic energy on a plane can affect its flight. A decrease in kinetic energy can cause the plane to slow down, while an increase in kinetic energy can cause it to speed up. This change in motion can affect the plane's altitude, speed, and direction of flight.

4. How does air resistance affect the change in kinetic energy on a plane?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the change in kinetic energy on a plane by slowing it down. As a plane moves through the air, it experiences resistance which reduces its speed and kinetic energy. This is important to consider when calculating the change in kinetic energy on a plane.

5. What are some real-life examples of calculating the change in kinetic energy on a plane?

One real-life example of calculating the change in kinetic energy on a plane is during takeoff and landing. As the plane speeds up during takeoff, its kinetic energy increases. And as it slows down during landing, its kinetic energy decreases. Another example is when a plane encounters turbulence or changes in altitude, which can cause changes in its kinetic energy.