Grade 11 Physics: Troubleshooting Parts C and D

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of kinetic energy and work done on a toboggan being dragged horizontally across snow. It also mentions the generation of thermal energy through friction and its potential effect of causing the snow to melt. However, there are some misunderstandings about potential energy and the correct equation for thermal energy.
Shaley
PARTS C AND D ARE WHAT I'M HAVING TROUBLE WITH.

a tobaggan of mass 20kg is dragged horizontally across snow by someone who exerts a force of 45N. the tobaggan travels 8m under the action of the force and has a final speed of 2.6 m/s.
a)calculate the actual kinetic energy of the tobaggan based on its speed

Ek=1/2mv^2
=1/2(20)(2.6)
=67.6J

b)Calculate the amount of work actually done on the tobaggan by the applied force

W=F X d
=450X8
=3600J

c)From your answers to parts a and b, calculate the amount of thermal energy generated.

Ethermal=Ekinetic + Epotential
I know that potential =3600J from b (the actual work done), but what's the potential - would it be a's answer of 67.6?

d)Explain how this thermal energy was generated and state one effect it might have.

I think that it was generated by the friction caused between the tobagganand the snow, which the tobagan was being dragged.the effect is the the friction would cause a transfer of kinetic energy into the snow molecules. This increased vibration of snow molecules will cause and increase in the total energy, or thermal energy, which will cause the snow to melt. IS THIS RIGHT? THANKYOU.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shaley said:
PARTS C AND D ARE WHAT I'M HAVING TROUBLE WITH.

a tobaggan of mass 20kg is dragged horizontally across snow by someone who exerts a force of 45N. the tobaggan travels 8m under the action of the force and has a final speed of 2.6 m/s.
a)calculate the actual kinetic energy of the tobaggan based on its speed

Ek=1/2mv^2
=1/2(20)(2.6)
=67.6J

b)Calculate the amount of work actually done on the tobaggan by the applied force

W=F X d
=450X8
=3600J
that's 45 x 8 = 360 J, typo error
c)From your answers to parts a and b, calculate the amount of thermal energy generated.

Ethermal=Ekinetic + Epotential
this equation is not correct; thermal energy is often just the heat energy generated by the work done by friction
I know that potential =3600J from b (the actual work done), but what's the potential - would it be a's answer of 67.6?
I think you are misunserstanding the concept of potential energy. Potential energy is generally associated witht the ability of gravity or spring forces to do work. 67.6 is the kinetic energy (of motion).
d)Explain how this thermal energy was generated and state one effect it might have.

I think that it was generated by the friction caused between the tobagganand the snow, which the tobagan was being dragged.the effect is the the friction would cause a transfer of kinetic energy into the snow molecules. This increased vibration of snow molecules will cause and increase in the total energy, or thermal energy, which will cause the snow to melt. IS THIS RIGHT? THANKYOU.
That's not quite correct; I wouldn't use the term kinetic energy, just say energy; and total energy of a system cannot either increase or decrease. The thermal energy was generated by ________? To calculate it, are you familiar with the work-energy or conservation of energy principles?

Last edited:

Related to Grade 11 Physics: Troubleshooting Parts C and D

1. What is the purpose of troubleshooting in Grade 11 Physics?

The purpose of troubleshooting in Grade 11 Physics is to identify and solve problems in experiments or calculations. This helps to ensure accurate and reliable results, and allows for a deeper understanding of the concepts being studied.

2. How do you troubleshoot in Grade 11 Physics?

To troubleshoot in Grade 11 Physics, you can follow a systematic approach such as the 5-step method: 1) Identify the problem, 2) Gather information, 3) Formulate a hypothesis, 4) Test the hypothesis, and 5) Evaluate the results and make adjustments if necessary.

3. What are some common troubleshooting techniques in Grade 11 Physics?

Some common troubleshooting techniques in Grade 11 Physics include checking for equipment malfunctions, reviewing calculations and equations, and re-testing the experiment with different variables. It is also important to carefully observe and record data to identify any inconsistencies or errors.

4. How can troubleshooting improve my understanding of Grade 11 Physics?

Troubleshooting can improve your understanding of Grade 11 Physics by allowing you to identify and correct any mistakes or misconceptions in your experiments or calculations. It also encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are important in the field of science.

5. What should I do if I am unable to troubleshoot a problem in Grade 11 Physics?

If you are unable to troubleshoot a problem in Grade 11 Physics, it is important to seek help from your teacher or classmates. They may offer a different perspective or suggest a new approach to solve the problem. It is also helpful to review the concepts and theories related to the problem to gain a better understanding.