1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Gradient of a time-dependent function

1. Jan 24, 2017 #1
    Hi!

I am struggling with what I think is probably a fairly simple step in Landau & Lifshitz derivation of the fields from the Lienard-Wiechert potential. We have the potential in terms of a primed set of coordinates but the fields are defined in terms of derivatives with respect to unprimed coordinates; the two are related by

$$t'+{R(t')\over{c}} = t$$

where R is the distance from the point charge to the field point at time t' and time t is the moment of observation.

The step that I am having trouble with is in finding an expression for the gradient of t'. Landau has:

$$\nabla t' = -\frac{1}{c}\nabla R(t') = -\frac{1}{c} \bigg(\frac{\partial R}{\partial t'} \nabla t' + \frac{\textbf{R}}{R}\bigg)$$

The first equality obviously follows from the equation above. The second equality is where I am stumped. I would think that it should be simply

$$\nabla R(t') = \frac{\partial R}{\partial t'} \nabla t'$$.

Does anyone know where that extra unit vector term comes from?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2017 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

It looks to me like that came from the unprimed t in your original equation.
    ## t' = -\frac{R(t')}{c} +t##
    so
    ##\nabla t' = -\nabla \frac{R(t')}{c} +\nabla t##
    Is it reasonable to write ##\nabla t = \frac{-c}{R}\mathbf{R}##?

4. Jan 24, 2017 #3
    I don't think that makes sense, since it is not consistent with the first equality:

$$\nabla t' = -\frac{1}{c}\nabla R(t')$$.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted