1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient of the graph y = a - k/x

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    " find, in terms of a and k, the gradient of the graph y = a - k/x at the point where it crosses x axis."

ok i worked out dy/dx = k/x^2 and x = k/a when y = o.

now what do i do. =(

thx for help in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I imagine you would want to calculate dy/dx at that point by plugging in x = k/a into your expression for dy/dx.
  4. May 13, 2008 #3
    How would you normally calculate the value of the derivative dy/dx at a point x?
  5. May 13, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why are you all calculating derivatives? This is in the precalculus forum :confused:
  6. May 13, 2008 #5
    The OP used derivatives, and it looks like a calculus problem. Maybe it should be moved?
  7. May 13, 2008 #6
    didn't think it was worthy of the higher forum

i don't know how to simplify it properly, that's the problem. =(
  8. May 13, 2008 #7
    can someone tell me how to simplify the answer, this isn't homework or coursework!

just revising need help! thanks
  9. May 13, 2008 #8
    ah i think it should be:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{k}{x^{2}}[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{k}{(\frac{k}{a})^{2}}[/tex] = - [tex]\frac{k}{\frac{k^{2}}{a^{2}}}[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{ka^{2}}{k^{2}}[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{a^{2}}{k}[/tex]
    when y = 0
  10. May 13, 2008 #9
    thought so, cheers beef
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?