1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Graduate admissions

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    I am now a junior in physics and will be applying to graduate schools in the next year and a half. I've been curious about what kind of GPA that most strong graduate programs would consider to be a respectable GPA. Unfortunately, no one has been able to give me a straight answer to this question yet - not even a ballpark. Would anyone have a good idea about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2
    It depends on your definition of strong. Most graduate programs want to see a 3.5 or higher physics GPA, but the top programs want something close to 4.0.

4. Apr 18, 2009 #3
    I think many grad programs would be satisfied with less than a 3.5 GPA. I got accepted to four colleges with a 3.45 GPA. I don't know if these colleges are "strong" by your definition (the most reputable was probably SUNY-Stony Brook).

5. Apr 18, 2009 #4
    Was 3.45 your physics GPA or overall GPA? I was also wondering what kind of grades they would expect to see in physics alone.

6. Apr 18, 2009 #5
    dost thou speaketh of general GPA or thy Physics GPA?

7. Apr 18, 2009 #6
    Overall. My physics GPA was actually 3.23, but not every college asked for it.

8. Apr 18, 2009 #7
    I was actually wondering about both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook