Graduate admissions

• Admissions
  • Thread starter nsatya
  • Start date
I am now a junior in physics and will be applying to graduate schools in the next year and a half. I've been curious about what kind of GPA that most strong graduate programs would consider to be a respectable GPA. Unfortunately, no one has been able to give me a straight answer to this question yet - not even a ballpark. Would anyone have a good idea about this?

Answers and Replies

It depends on your definition of strong. Most graduate programs want to see a 3.5 or higher physics GPA, but the top programs want something close to 4.0.

I think many grad programs would be satisfied with less than a 3.5 GPA. I got accepted to four colleges with a 3.45 GPA. I don't know if these colleges are "strong" by your definition (the most reputable was probably SUNY-Stony Brook).

I think many grad programs would be satisfied with less than a 3.5 GPA. I got accepted to four colleges with a 3.45 GPA. I don't know if these colleges are "strong" by your definition (the most reputable was probably SUNY-Stony Brook).
Was 3.45 your physics GPA or overall GPA? I was also wondering what kind of grades they would expect to see in physics alone.

dost thou speaketh of general GPA or thy Physics GPA?

Was 3.45 your physics GPA or overall GPA? I was also wondering what kind of grades they would expect to see in physics alone.
Overall. My physics GPA was actually 3.23, but not every college asked for it.

dost thou speaketh of general GPA or thy Physics GPA?
I was actually wondering about both.