1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate options for medical physics.

1. Jun 29, 2015 #1
    To begin, I've had a fairly long college career. I was a wellness science major for 3 years and decided it wasn't challenging enough at my small college. I switched to physics and jammed 4 years of math and physics into 2 years. I have one more year left and then I will be in graduate school hopefully. This year will only consist of a few classes, as I go to a small university that is only able to offer upper level physics classes once every two years.

My GPA is decent (3.3), but I don't expect to get into a highly prestigious university. I am confident in my abilities, work ethic, and ability to present myself well. However, I also realize I'm likely not prepared for a graduate program that is heavy in theoretical physics and mathematics yet. I have limited research (focused on fluid dynamics of electron breakdown waves), but my professors think very highly of me so I think I will have very good letters of recommendation.

I just know that I want to pursue a masters which will enable me to help people in some way. I love the idea of getting into prosthetics & orthotics or medical physics. I have had a lot of trouble finding any school that seems to fit me though. The closest thing I have found is Applied Physics degrees that allow for a focus in optics which have the potential for medical application. My hours and hours of online searching haven't yielded much success. I don't want to be a theoretical physicist or professor from a top college. I just want to be good at what I do and be able to help people.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy post.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2015 #2
    Have you considered master's programs in biomedical engineering (or perhaps electrical engineering with a focus on biomedical engineering)? It seems like that would be the better choice when it comes to designing medical equipment/prosthetics/etc.

4. Jun 29, 2015 #3
  5. Jun 29, 2015 #4
    Biomedical engineering is definitely an interest of mine. I intend on applying to a few of those programs. I was initially worried about some of them as they required a bit more engineering or a few more biology labs than I've had.
    And thank you for the link to that list. I will look into each of the Universities listed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook