Graduate programs in Complex Systems?

In summary: Thanks for your help!In summary, Chaos, Complex Systems, and Nonlinear dynamics systems are areas of research that are of interest to me. Statistics might be a good fit, depending on the interests of the program. Some graduate programs in this area may include the University of Maryland (College Park), the University of New Mexico (with an eye to the Sante Fe Institute), or Cornell. It may be difficult to find a job in these areas, but there are many options available if you are interested.
rdgarza
Hi, I am interested in Chaos, Complex Systems and Nonlinear dynamics systems and Statistical physics, can anyone please suggest me some graduate programs in this topics and maybe some literature too?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some obvious possibilities include Stony Brook, University of Maryland (College Park), University of New Mexico (with an eye to Sante Fe Insitute). If you haven't read the two volume book by E. Atlee Jackson, Perspectives on Nonlinear Dynamics, you should run right out and buy this book.

You might want to look at groups doing research on granular materials - people are also doing some cool stat mech on glassy systems.

What geographic area are you looking in?

Right now I am in Mexico, I was looking in Mexico and USA, but I am not closed only to this 2 options.

I have one more question, is hard to find a job in this topics?

rdgarza said:
Hi, I am interested in Chaos, Complex Systems and Nonlinear dynamics systems and Statistical physics, can anyone please suggest me some graduate programs in this topics and maybe some literature too?

Cornell has a really good Applied Mathematics department, alongwith University of Maryland. Stony Brook has a much more pure dynamical systems department; not really focusing on the applications and really more on just the pure theory.

rdgarza said:
Right now I am in Mexico, I was looking in Mexico and USA, but I am not closed only to this 2 options.

I have one more question, is hard to find a job in this topics?

Not many schools have a strong dynamics department or have a desire to hire such a researcher to be honest. You can count on your hand the number of schools that have more than 7 faculty members who specifically study dynamics. It might be tough, but do what you love.

I'd rate Guckenheimer's Cornell group right up there.

Check out Kevrekidis in Princeton for some interesting Chem. Eng. stuff.

Koppell in Boston (BU) for bio stuff.

Ermentrout in Pittsburgh for neuro things.

InbredDummy said:
Not many schools have a strong dynamics department or have a desire to hire such a researcher to be honest. You can count on your hand the number of schools that have more than 7 faculty members who specifically study dynamics. It might be tough, but do what you love.
Is this just from your personal experience?

Check out a conference site like: http://siam.org/meetings/ds07/ to see that's not true.

Steven Strogatz (my nonlinear dynamics and chaos text author) is on the dyn systems advisory board. why not look into cornell?

InbredDummy said:
Cornell has a really good Applied Mathematics department, alongwith University of Maryland. Stony Brook has a much more pure dynamical systems department; not really focusing on the applications and really more on just the pure theory.

Maryland is strong in both pure and applied dynamical systems. So, two votes for UM and Stony Brook, actually for Cornell too (I am a Cornell alum :wink: but did my undergrad degree in pure math).

InbredDummy said:

rdgarza, I'd disregard this particular comment by InbredDummy, since few math departments have seven faculty members which work on any one topic (in fact, I'd be a bit worried about any department which was that specialized). In a large department with 50 full-time faculty, you might have three to five who work in the same area and in that case this would be a significant strength of that department. But it seems ID and I agree that University of Maryland at College Park (that's a Metro ride from Washington, DC and the Smithsonian complex if you're interested), State University of New York at Stony Brook, and Cornell would all be good choices.

Last edited:
Hi people!

Thanks all of you for your posts.

I know these topics have a lot of applications, so maybe is not a big problem to get a job related to Chaos, Complex Systems and Nonlinear dynamics systems and Statistical physics.

Definitively Maryland is a strong option in all this topics, but, can you tell me something about institution outside USA?, I know the UNAM in Mexico have a Complex Systems Department (http://scifunam.fisica.unam.mx/), do anyone know something about it?

1. What is a graduate program in Complex Systems?

A graduate program in Complex Systems is an advanced academic program that focuses on the study of complex and interconnected systems, such as biological, ecological, social, and technological systems. It combines principles and methods from different disciplines, such as mathematics, physics, computer science, and social sciences, to better understand and model complex systems.

2. What are the career opportunities for graduates of a Complex Systems program?

There are many career opportunities for graduates of a Complex Systems program, as the skills and knowledge gained can be applied to various industries, including healthcare, finance, transportation, and energy. Some common job titles include data scientist, systems analyst, network engineer, and policy analyst.

3. What are the admission requirements for a graduate program in Complex Systems?

The specific admission requirements may vary depending on the university and program, but typically, applicants are expected to have a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and computer science. Many programs also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

4. Are there any specific areas of specialization within Complex Systems?

Yes, there are several areas of specialization within Complex Systems, such as network science, computational biology, socio-technical systems, and ecological modeling. Some programs may offer a general curriculum, while others may have specific tracks or concentrations for students to choose from.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a graduate program in Complex Systems?

Graduate programs in Complex Systems provide students with a strong foundation in mathematical and computational methods for analyzing and modeling complex systems. Students also gain skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and interdisciplinary collaboration, as well as a deep understanding of complex systems and their behaviors.