1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate School Reputation & Industry Job Market for Physics PhD

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    (I've been reading PF for years now, and decided I should finally contribute. Unfortunately, my first significant post is a question, but I hope that will change in the near future!)

I'm graduating in May with a double major in Physics and Mathematics, and I have a couple offer for graduate school in the fall. Unfortunately, I did VERY poorly on the Physics GRE (no point in making excuses), so I was only accepted into two of the seven schools to which I applied, both safeties. I'm thinking about accepting the offer at a decent graduate program at a large private university ranked in the 60s (US News).

I am confident that I can retake the physics GRE and score significantly higher, thus drastically improving my chances at higher ranked schools (I was wait-listed at a top ten school this time around, with my abysmal physics gre score).

I don't want to delay graduate school another year, but at the same time, I don't want to severely limit my opportunities post-graduation.

The big question becomes: How much do employers for physics PhDs care about pedigree and prestige?

(I'm asking strictly about industry, since I cannot picture myself staying in academia after my PhD)

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2
    Over the past couple weeks I've realized how little I knew about graduate schools and industry. I chose to enroll this Fall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook