Graduate School Textbooks: How Much to Budget?

  • Topic: Studying 
  • Thread starter Thread starter bh258
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Textbooks
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
bh258
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
how much are graduate textbooks

how much money did textbooks cost you in graduate school? Just in general I am not interested in an exact amount just in the general amount I would have to pay for each of them or all together, and I know each school requires different material.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me estimate 10 classes for an MS, each one requiring a textbook that costs $100 on average. $1K give or take? (Probably a little more than that, actually.)
 
10 classes for an MS? Plus you can always scam the textbooks from the library on the first day and not pay a cent.
 
TMFKAN64 said:
Let me estimate 10 classes for an MS, each one requiring a textbook that costs $100 on average. $1K give or take? (Probably a little more than that, actually.)

You sir, are out of your mind. I've been in grad school for almost an entire year now (six classes) and have spent a total of about $140 I think. All brand new, all hardcover. One of the books wasn't even for a class I was taking but just in a subject I wanted to know more about.
 
Topher925 said:
You sir, are out of your mind. I've been in grad school for almost an entire year now (six classes) and have spent a total of about $140 I think. All brand new, all hardcover. One of the books wasn't even for a class I was taking but just in a subject I wanted to know more about.

I've spent $120 or so on 2 classes for 2 books so far :( New, one hardcover (the expensive one).
 
maverick_starstrider said:
10 classes for an MS? Plus you can always scam the textbooks from the library on the first day and not pay a cent.

10 classes for an MS. At least where I went.

I like to keep my books though... admittedly, I could have shopped around and bought international editions for many classes for much less.

But yeah, out of my mind or not, about $1K.
 
10 classes for an MS? Plus you can always scam the textbooks from the library on the first day and not pay a cent.
That's pretty much what the majority of students do here (Argentina). Not only physics students, I mean university students in general.
"We" scan books borrowed from the library so that we pay approximately 5 or 6 dollars a book of say 600 or 700 pages. Of course it's illegal and you shouldn't do this! An alternative of not spending that much money would be to spend a lot of your time in the University's library.