Graduate school without ANY research experience

In summary, the person has a perfect GPA and great GRE scores, but lacks research experience and internships due to the difficulty of obtaining them in Croatia. They are unsure if they will be admitted to a decent graduate school, but it is possible as many students are accepted without extensive research experience. They are advised to contact specific departments for more information on their chances of being a competitive candidate.
FermatPell
Hello,

By next summer I'll have completed my bachelor's degree in geophysics at the University of Zagreb (Croatia). My GPA is perfect (5.0/5.0, although i know that a good gpa from a globally unknown university doesn't stand for much), my GRE's are great (General test, quant-170, verbal-160) and I'm going to take the subject test in physics soon.

However, I have NO research experience (extremely hard to get some in Croatia), and no internships or summer school (I wanted to go to a summer school programme at CERN, however they didn't accept me since they don't accept undergraduate students). Pretty much, I haven't done anything at all.

Do I have any chances of getting admitted to a decent graduate school? At least to a decent MSc programme in the US? (Although I know they most of them are PhD oriented)

Physics news on Phys.org
Lots of students get into graduate school every year with little to no undergraduate research experience. Remember senior labs, senior thesis projects, and even reading courses can count in this respect.

If you're interested in particular programs, you should contact the departments with specific information about yourself and ask if they would consider you to be a competative candidate for their programs.

1. Can I get into graduate school without any research experience?

Yes, it is possible to get into graduate school without any research experience. While research experience can strengthen your application, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Other factors such as GPA, standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statements also play a role.

2. Will not having research experience put me at a disadvantage compared to other applicants?

It depends on the program and the specific requirements. Some programs may prioritize research experience, while others may not. It is important to carefully research the requirements and preferences of the programs you are interested in to have a better understanding of their expectations.

3. Can I still pursue a graduate degree in a different field from my undergraduate major if I don't have research experience in that field?

Yes, you can pursue a graduate degree in a different field from your undergraduate major even without research experience in that field. Many graduate programs value a diverse background and may even prefer applicants with a range of experiences. However, you may need to explain in your application how your previous experiences have prepared you for the new field of study.

4. How can I make up for the lack of research experience in my application?

There are several ways to make up for the lack of research experience in your application. You can highlight any relevant coursework or projects you have completed, showcase any transferable skills you have gained from other experiences, or provide strong letters of recommendation from professors who can speak to your academic potential.

5. Will I be expected to have research experience during my graduate program?

It depends on the program and the type of degree you are pursuing. Some graduate programs may require a thesis or research project as part of the degree requirements, while others may not. It is important to research the specific program and its expectations before applying.