Graduate Schools that do Turbomachinery Research

In summary, this person is looking for graduate school programs that focus on Gas Turbine Research, but they are not sure if their research focus is "interesting" anymore. They are also looking for help from members of the Physics Forums.
Jaxv
Hi,

I have a Bachelors in Aeronautical Engineering and am looking forward to getting a Masters Degree in Engineering. But the catch is that I have not been able to find schools that conduct the research I am interested in.

I am particularly interested in Gas Turbine Research, specifically cycle-design and optimization.There are many universities that have faculty involved in Combustion Aerodynamics or Turbine Aerodynamics but not the entire system.

I search through the USNews Education Compass with emphasis on Mechanical Engineering. Maybe i am looking for it in the wrong major, or my research interest is not really "interesting" anymore and I need to rethink. I could really use some help from Physics Forums members.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you posed this question to the faculty at your alma mater?

Yes. They recommended me the programs at Texas A&M and UoFlorida. Texas A&M is extremely selective so I am a bit hesitant to apply, I am applying to the second option.
That's just one school, I am looking at applying to 3 minimum to have a reasonable chance. This is something I am really interested in so changing my research focus is really the last option. I have been involved in developing educational software that helps undergrad students generate cycle-decks for a variety of thermodynamic cycles and combinations. You are welcome to try it out at www.propulsor-turbo.com

PS. My professors were educated in Asia so it might be a bit difficult for them to recommend grad schools in the United States sorted by research focus. I don't blame them for it.

This is not my area of expertise, by a long shot. Perhaps you could call those two programs, explain your situation, and ask if there are similar ones elsewhere? Or email one or more of the faculty there? Couldn't hurt...

1. What is turbomachinery research?

Turbomachinery research is a field of study that focuses on the design, analysis, and optimization of turbomachinery, which includes turbines, compressors, pumps, and fans. This research area is interdisciplinary, incorporating elements of mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, and fluid dynamics. It involves developing and improving the performance, efficiency, and reliability of these machines for various applications, such as power generation, aircraft propulsion, and industrial processes.

2. What types of graduate programs offer turbomachinery research?

Graduate programs that offer turbomachinery research can typically be found within departments of mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or fluid mechanics. These programs may include Master's and PhD degrees in the respective fields, with a focus on turbomachinery research. Some universities may also offer specialized programs or concentrations specifically in turbomachinery research.

3. What are the key skills and knowledge required for graduate studies in turbomachinery research?

To excel in graduate studies in turbomachinery research, students should have a strong background in mechanical engineering, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics. They should also possess skills in computational analysis, experimental techniques, and data analysis. Additionally, having a strong foundation in mathematics and programming is essential for conducting research in this field.

4. How can I find a graduate school that specializes in turbomachinery research?

One way to find a graduate school that specializes in turbomachinery research is to search for universities that have well-known research groups or centers focusing on this area. You can also look for professors who are experts in turbomachinery research and see if they are affiliated with any graduate programs. It is also helpful to read through the program descriptions and faculty profiles of various universities to determine if they have a strong focus on turbomachinery research.

5. What are the potential career opportunities for graduates with a degree in turbomachinery research?

Graduates with a degree in turbomachinery research have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, and manufacturing. They can work as design engineers, research scientists, or project managers in companies that develop and manufacture turbomachinery. They may also pursue careers in academia, conducting further research and teaching in this field. Additionally, their skills and knowledge in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics can also be applied to other industries such as automotive, marine, and renewable energy.