1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate seeking new career guidance

1. May 11, 2013 #1
    Hey there guys, Im a semi recent graduate from UCLA with a film and tv degree and fine arts degree, dbl major, and i have been going back to school at pasadena city college taking my math and physics courses. I initially wanted to go back to school for physics because of my fascination but ultimately I have to be realistic because my grades are not top notch. I'm dyslexic and I love doing arts and photo, here is my website so you can see my work, www.republicofla.com . Ive been interested in robotics and rovers recently And I'm looking at a cal state la program in electrical engineering or mechanical. I don't know exactly how to do this but because they don't have a robotics emphasis except for mechanical engineering... A UAV program and electrical engineering.... Controls or maybe do systems engineering, so what I'm doing is, I've been dabbling in learning robotics from this textbook https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1846286417/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

I would like to someday design a rover or some type of mobile robot that deal with more commercial use than industrial... And tips on direction to this long career path would be much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2
    Can you swing Cal Poly Pomona? They have a stronger program than CSU-LA. Also, do ANYTHING you can to get an internship at JPL. Try and try and keep trying. That experience will matter more than your alma matter when you start looking for jobs.

Good luck!

4. May 13, 2013 #3
    Hi there Carl, thanks and i hope you are doing good! I've thought of the different school programs but because I don't have an undergraduate in the sciences, I can not attend cal poly P. and I already have loans out as an undergrad. going as an undergraduate to cal poly will not work out for me because i need to get loans to attend school again, but however csula will accept me as a full time student and the program is not as expensive as many tech schools. I have thought about it and it does not bother me that I cannot not attend to a school with a better program. I am currently viewing MIT courseware and Thank the gods for the Internet and the free MIT courses in robotics. I will apply to those programs at jpl! And do my own research! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook