• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Graduate Student Looking for Advice

• Thread starter DonutLord
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

So I'm due to start my master's degree in September, with an Astrophysics research project. I have zero astro background, and want to keep my previous physics knowledge in case I don't enjoy astro as much as I thought I would. If I end up wanting to do a PhD in a different physics field, would having an Astronomy Master's degree (as opposed to a physics master's degree) hurt my chances of being accepted for a PhD in a Physics field other than astrophysics?

Answers and Replies

eri
In all likelihood, the courses won't (all) transfer to count as a physics masters and you'd end up taking the masters level physics anyway to pass the qualifying exams.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hi,

So I'm due to start my master's degree in September, with an Astrophysics research project. I have zero astro background, and want to keep my previous physics knowledge in case I don't enjoy astro as much as I thought I would. If I end up wanting to do a PhD in a different physics field, would having an Astronomy Master's degree (as opposed to a physics master's degree) hurt my chances of being accepted for a PhD in a Physics field other than astrophysics?
Where in the world are you doing this?

Never, ever forget, especially if you're new here, to indicate your location. We have members from all over the world. You wouldn't want someone to give you a response that is completely useless to you in your situation.

Zz.