Graduate Students Repairing Equipment

In summary, the conversation revolves around the challenges of conducting experimental research, specifically when equipment breaks down and requires repair. The speakers agree that experience with instrumentation is valuable and necessary for any future science positions. It is mentioned that spending time fixing equipment is a common occurrence and can delay research progress. However, the ability to fix one's own equipment is seen as a benefit, as waiting for outside help can be time-consuming and may not always result in a proper fix.
Modey3
Hello,

I'm on the last year and a half of my PhD research. My project is mostly experimental, which involves ion implanting into ferrous surfaces for improves tribological properties. Unfortunately, the equipment (the ion implanter, Auger, SIMS, and XPS) breaks down once in a while and I'm finding a lot of my time being spent on repair work whether it be fixing a vacuum leak or repairing a circuit. I'm finding the time spent on repairing equipment is affecting my research progress. Don't get me wrong, I have a big interest in electronics and I'm a bit of tinkerer, but is it normal for graduate students to spend half their time fixing equipment? Thanks

modey3

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an old joke... how can you tell the difference between a theoretical physicist and an experimental physicist? Well, theoretical physicists spend their time looking for the sign error, and experimental physicists spend their time looking for the leak in their vacuum hose.

OK, so it's not really very funny, but I think spending time fixing equipment is extremely common.

Modey3 said:
Hello,

I'm on the last year and a half of my PhD research. My project is mostly experimental, which involves ion implanting into ferrous surfaces for improves tribological properties. Unfortunately, the equipment (the ion implanter, Auger, SIMS, and XPS) breaks down once in a while and I'm finding a lot of my time being spent on repair work whether it be fixing a vacuum leak or repairing a circuit. I'm finding the time spent on repairing equipment is affecting my research progress. Don't get me wrong, I have a big interest in electronics and I'm a bit of tinkerer, but is it normal for graduate students to spend half their time fixing equipment? Thanks

modey3

Consider yourself fortunate ... that kind of experience is going to be invaluable for any kind of science position in the future.

Experience with instrumentation is a great asset , you can get your foot in the door to any field with expertise in this area.

I'm an undergrad TA and spend half of my time fixing instruments.

Worse is if your project combines cryostats and software.
Spend a week finding the leak, then a week cooling it down, then warm it up - repeat
Then start on the software!

If the equipment is required as part of your experimental apparatus, then yes, you're the one who needs to fix it. It's all part of troubleshooting and real life as an experimental scientist. Believe me, you're lucky when you can fix your own equipment. It's much worse when you use equipment that it beyond your own ability to fix and you need to wait weeks at a time for someone else to come into repair it for you only to find they didn't do it right and something is still broken, or it breaks down again a week later.

1. How do graduate students learn to repair equipment?

Graduate students typically learn to repair equipment through a combination of classroom instruction, hands-on training, and mentorship from experienced scientists. They may also attend workshops or conferences specifically focused on equipment repair.

2. What types of equipment do graduate students typically repair?

The types of equipment that graduate students repair can vary depending on their field of study. Some common examples include microscopes, spectrophotometers, centrifuges, and various lab instruments.

3. Do graduate students have access to all necessary tools and resources for equipment repair?

In most cases, graduate students have access to a variety of tools and resources for equipment repair. This may include specialized tools, repair manuals, and technical support from manufacturers or university staff.

4. How long does it typically take for a graduate student to learn how to repair equipment?

The amount of time it takes for a graduate student to learn how to repair equipment can vary depending on their prior experience and the complexity of the equipment. It may take several weeks to several months of training and practice to become proficient in equipment repair.

5. Are there any safety precautions that graduate students must follow while repairing equipment?

Yes, graduate students should always follow safety precautions when repairing equipment. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and properly handling hazardous materials. It is important to follow all safety protocols to prevent accidents or injuries.