Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate studies and postgraduates studies

  1. Mar 1, 2008 #1
    Once you earn you BS in physics at the undergraduate level and you decide that you want to become a physicist, do most physics majors apply to grad school first and then attempt to pursue in earn a pHd in their field of interests or do most physics bachelors directly apply for a pHd and therefore bypass their graduate studies?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2
    Masters or Ph.D. = graduate studies / grad school.
  4. Mar 1, 2008 #3
    It's pretty hard to pursue a PhD *before* applying for grad schools.... :-)

    The nomenclature for "doing a PhD" varies from country to country. "Graduate studies" (ie, any coursework or research project which leads to one or both of an M.Sc or a PhD) in Canada and the US is the same as "postgraduate studies" in the UK, Australia and New Zealand.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook