Math vs. Physics: Choosing the Right Path for Graduate Studies

• Courses
  • Thread starter Pallatinus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: But in the end it won't matter much, as you will learn a lot of physics by doing math, and math by doing physics, so it all comes down to what you find interesting, and perhaps what you want to specialize in. In summary, if you want to study Mathematical Physics in grad school, you will need to take a combination of both math and physics courses. Some of the most important courses include Algebra, Real Analysis, Electromagnetism, State of Matter, and Quantum Mechanics. Ultimately, the most important courses will depend on your interests and goals, so it is important to choose a combination that complements your desired path.
Pallatinus
I'm currently a math undergrad, and I find that I love both, Math and Physics, and I want to study Mathematical Physics in grad school, but now I've to decide which path should I follow, next year I could change my degree to physics (my UNI physics department is much better structured and renowned than the math department), then take a lot of math courses, or I should stay in math and take physics courses.
1. If I choose the first option which math courses should I take?
2. If I choose the second one, which physics courses are "more important"?
What courses are more important to "complement" each option? (1 and 2)

A list of the most important courses available.
Math:
Algebra 1 & 2
Real Analysis
Analysis in R^n
Topology
ODE
PDE
Fourier Analysis
Functional Analysis

Physics:
Electromagnetism 1 & 2
State of Matter 1 & 2
Classical Mechanics 1 & 2
Thermodynamics
Solid-State Physics 1 & 2
Optics
Computational Physics
General Relativity
Statistical Mechanics
Quantum Mechanics 1 & 2

Physics news on Phys.org
Pallatinus said:
Math:
Algebra 1 & 2
Real Analysis
Analysis in R^n
Topology
ODE
PDE
Fourier Analysis
Functional Analysis

This looks like a list of the maths courses you would take in any physics program. In particular if you want to do mathematical physics, you will need it all (you might grt away without topology if doing something more experimental or phenomenological). I would also add complex analysis.
Physics:
Electromagnetism 1 & 2
State of Matter 1 & 2
Thermodynamics
Optics
Computational Physics
General Relativity
Statistical Mechanics
Quantum Mechanics 1 & 2

Like above, this looks pretty much like a standard physics program. Depending on your interests you might be able to skip some of the "2s", but as a physicist you should have a basic knowledge in all those subjects.

Likes Pallatinus
Orodruin said:
This looks like a list of the maths courses you would take in any physics program. In particular if you want to do mathematical physics, you will need it all (you might grt away without topology if doing something more experimental or phenomenological). I would also add complex analysis.

Like above, this looks pretty much like a standard physics program. Depending on your interests you might be able to skip some of the "2s", but as a physicist you should have a basic knowledge in all those subjects.
Thanks!

Pallatinus said:
I'm currently a math undergrad, and I find that I love both, Math and Physics, and I want to study Mathematical Physics in grad school, but now I've to decide which path should I follow, next year I could change my degree to physics (my UNI physics department is much better structured and renowned than the math department), then take a lot of math courses, or I should stay in math and take physics courses.
1. If I choose the first option which math courses should I take?
2. If I choose the second one, which physics courses are "more important"?
What courses are more important to "complement" each option? (1 and 2)

Math:
Algebra 1 & 2
Real Analysis
Analysis in R^n
Topology
ODE
PDE
Fourier Analysis
Functional Analysis

Physics:
Electromagnetism 1 & 2
State of Matter 1 & 2
Thermodynamics

Optics
Computational Physics
General Relativity
Statistical Mechanics
Quantum Mechanics 1 & 2

I would regard the ones I've bolded as more important than the others.

Likes Pallatinus

1. What is the difference between math and physics?

Math and physics are closely related fields, but there are some key differences. Math deals with abstract concepts and uses logical reasoning to solve problems, while physics deals with the natural world and uses mathematical equations to describe and understand physical phenomena.

2. Do I need to be good at math to understand physics?

While having a strong foundation in math can make it easier to understand physics, it is not a requirement. Physics involves both conceptual and mathematical understanding, and with practice and patience, anyone can learn the necessary math skills to understand physics.

3. How is math used in physics?

Math is used in physics to describe and quantify physical phenomena. From simple equations like F=ma to complex equations like Schrödinger's equation, math is used to model and predict the behavior of the natural world.

4. Which is more important in science, math or physics?

Both math and physics are essential in science and cannot be separated. Math provides the language and tools to describe and understand the physical world, while physics provides the real-world applications and context for mathematical concepts.

5. Can you be a scientist without being good at math or physics?

There are various fields of science that do not heavily rely on math or physics, such as biology or psychology. However, for fields like chemistry, engineering, and astrophysics, a strong understanding of math and physics is crucial for success as a scientist.