Graduating high school soon, need some advice

In summary, it is highly recommended for a high school student who wants to become a mechanical engineer to participate in a co-op program. Co-ops provide opportunities to earn money, gain valuable experience, and network with professionals in the field. This can greatly benefit a student when they graduate and start looking for a job. Additionally, having work experience is often more important than having good grades in the educational career when it comes to engineering jobs. This is exemplified by the success of a friend who was a C student but had a year of experience with a prestigious company, leading to a high-paying job. Therefore, it is important to not overlook the value of work-study programs in preparing for a career in engineering.
Isaac1720
question: would it be more helpful if a high school student who wants to become a mech. engineer to take an entrepenurship program or a co- op education program ? please I need suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
Co-ops are great. You make money, and get a year of experience before you graduate. It's also a great way to network. I would never suggest not doing a co-op.

I started off in a coop program in college. Being the first of five children, finances soon came to bear and I had to work full time to afford my education part time. However, I worked on the same sorts of things on the job as I studied in my Engineering degree.

So, Yes, I strongly recommend you participate in a work-study program. The extra time it may take will pay for itself handsomely when you graduate and start looking for a job.

And that brings up a sick joke: Want to know what we call a fresh graduate without significant work experience? A Go-Fer.

Don't be that Go-Fer. Although Engineering requires an education, you're paid for your experience and your practice, not the good grades in your educational career.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
Don't be that Go-Fer. Although Engineering requires an education, you're paid for your experience and your practice, not the good grades in your educational career.
This is extremely important to know. A friend of mine graduated from a Chem. E. program to a 130k a year job. She was a C student for a lot of her career as a student, but she had a year of experience with a large, influential company in Pittsburgh. That's how she got the job.

1. What should I do to prepare for life after high school?

It's important to start thinking about your goals and interests early on. Consider talking to a guidance counselor or career advisor to explore different options, such as attending college, vocational school, or entering the workforce.

2. How should I choose a college or university?

Research different schools and programs that align with your interests and goals. Consider factors such as location, cost, academic reputation, and available resources. It may also be helpful to visit campuses and speak with current students and faculty.

3. Should I take a gap year before starting college?

This decision ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. A gap year can provide valuable experiences and help you clarify your interests, but it's important to consider how it may impact your academic and financial plans.

4. How can I financially prepare for college?

Start by researching scholarship and financial aid opportunities, as well as creating a budget to save for college expenses. You may also consider working part-time or applying for internships to gain experience and earn money towards your education.

5. What advice do you have for adjusting to college life?

It's normal to feel overwhelmed during the transition to college. Be open to meeting new people, seeking support from advisors and professors, and managing your time effectively. Don't be afraid to ask for help when needed and remember to take care of your physical and mental health.