1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduating high school soon, need some advice

1. Sep 22, 2015 #1
    question: would it be more helpful if a high school student who wants to become a mech. engineer to take an entrepenurship program or a co- op education program ? please I need suggestions

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2015 #2
    Co-ops are great. You make money, and get a year of experience before you graduate. It's also a great way to network. I would never suggest not doing a co-op.

4. Sep 23, 2015 #3
    I started off in a coop program in college. Being the first of five children, finances soon came to bear and I had to work full time to afford my education part time. However, I worked on the same sorts of things on the job as I studied in my Engineering degree.

So, Yes, I strongly recommend you participate in a work-study program. The extra time it may take will pay for itself handsomely when you graduate and start looking for a job.

And that brings up a sick joke: Want to know what we call a fresh graduate without significant work experience? A Go-Fer.

Don't be that Go-Fer. Although Engineering requires an education, you're paid for your experience and your practice, not the good grades in your educational career.

5. Sep 23, 2015 #4
    This is extremely important to know. A friend of mine graduated from a Chem. E. program to a 130k a year job. She was a C student for a lot of her career as a student, but she had a year of experience with a large, influential company in Pittsburgh. That's how she got the job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook