1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gram Schmidt procedure, trouble finding inner product

1. Sep 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given basis |x>,|y>,|z> such that <x|x> = 2,<y|y> = 2,<z|z> = 3,<x|y> = i, <x|z> = i, and <y|z> = 2. Build an orthonormal basis|x'>,|y'>,|z'>. Each of the new basis vectors should be expressed in terms of the old ones multiplied by coefficients.

2. Relevant equations

|x'> = |x>/(<x|x>).5 (normalizing the original x ket)

|y'> = |y> - <x'|y> |x'>

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I have worked through that |x'> = (1/2).5|x>
    Using this result I have moved through the calculation of |y'> and found it equals

|y> - (i/2) |x'>

I am now trying to normalize this expression, but I am not sure what my inner product on the denominator will look like for this normalization, but my best guess is
    <y| - (i/2)<x'|y> - (i/2)|x'>

but that does not look legitimate to me, so I am stuck here.

How do I take the inner product of a bra and and ket, both of which are sums of two kets/bras?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Use parentheses. If you had a = b + c, you wouldn't say ##a\times a = b + c\times b + c##, would you? That's effectively what you're doing right now, so it's not surprising it doesn't look right to you.

4. Sep 11, 2015 #3
    In the "bra"-"ket" formalisim the bra is the complex conjugate of the ket. In your normalizing denominator you must take the inner-product of the vector with its complex conjugate.

5. Sep 11, 2015 #4
    Thanks a million! I always mix up how kets and bras correlate to normal vector notation. I worked it through being mindful of parentheses and I got a much more logical answer :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted