Graph of a function only if first projection is bijective

In summary, to prove that a subset \Gamma\subset A X B is the graph of some function from A to B, the first projection \rho: \Gamma\rightarrow A must be a bijection. This means that for \Gamma to be the graph of a function, it must have both injection and surjection. If \rho: \Gamma\rightarrow A is not a bijection, then there are two possible cases: 1) the function is not surjective, meaning there are values in the co domain that are not the image of any value in the domain, and 2) the function is not injective, meaning there are two values of the co domain for one value of the domain. To prove that \
h.shin

Homework Statement

If A and B are sets, prove that a subset [itex]\Gamma\subset A X B[/itex] is the graph of some function from A to B if and only if the first projection [itex]\rho: \Gamma\rightarrow A[/itex] is a bijection.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first thought that i should define bijection by saying that a a bijection exists when there is both injection and surjection.

If [itex]\rho: \Gamma\rightarrow A[/itex] is not a bijection then it is either
1)not surjective
2)not injective
3)both 1) and 2)

So,
I thought that i should prove that [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is not the graph of some function A -> B when the first projection is not bijective by showing the non-surjective and non-injective cases separately. And then prove that it is, in fact, [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is the graph of the function when the first projection is bijective.

So, i have to show the cases for when the first projection is not injective, when it's not surjective, and then when it is bijective.
But, how do i prove that the [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is either the graph of the function or not? in any of the 3 cases?

I just don't know where to start. Is this the right approach or is there a shorter way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right way. Answer these:

What does it mean for [itex]\Gamma[/itex] to be the graph of a function. What could go wrong?? (there are two things that could go wrong). What is the projection in the case that it goes wrong??

Maybe try some examples of [itex]\Gamma[/itex] first to get used to it.

what does a graph of a function mean. Well, doesn't it just mean that it represents the relationship between the domain and the co domain? and what could go wrong..?

Well, i feel like the only things that can go wrong are if there are two values of codomain for one value of domain. Or, there just might be values in the co domain that is not the image of any value in the domain.

I mean, don't these two things just mean, the function is not surjective and injective?

1. What is a bijective function?

A bijective function is a type of function in which each element in the domain is paired with exactly one element in the range, and each element in the range is paired with exactly one element in the domain. This means that the function has both a one-to-one and onto mapping, and there are no repeated inputs or outputs.

2. What does it mean for the first projection to be bijective?

The first projection in a graph of a function refers to the x-values or inputs. If the first projection is bijective, it means that each x-value in the graph is mapped to exactly one y-value, and there are no repeated x-values. This ensures that the graph represents a function and not just a relation.

3. Can a function have a bijective first projection but not be bijective overall?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a bijective first projection but not be bijective overall. This can occur if the function has repeated outputs for different inputs. In this case, the first projection would still be bijective, but the overall function would not be bijective because it violates the one-to-one mapping requirement.

4. Why is it important for the first projection to be bijective in a graph of a function?

Having a bijective first projection ensures that the graph represents a function and not just a relation. It also ensures that the function is well-defined and has a unique output for every input. This is important in mathematics and science as it allows for precise and accurate analysis and calculations.

5. How can you determine if the first projection is bijective in a graph of a function?

To determine if the first projection is bijective in a graph of a function, you can use the vertical line test. This involves drawing vertical lines on the graph and checking to see if they intersect the graph at more than one point. If a vertical line intersects the graph at more than one point, then the first projection is not bijective. If the vertical lines only intersect the graph at one point each, then the first projection is bijective.