1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set Theory, Functions. Injective/Surjective

1. Nov 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give f:A→A and g:A→A where f is surjective, g is injective, but f*g is neither surjective nor injecive

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know why I can't really think of two... I assume it's easiest to do one in ℝ, but when it comes to producing surjective-non-injective functions in general I tend to do them in Z since I find it easiest. I was thinking to do something involving e^x but I'm not sure. How should I approach this? Should I just think of functions I know are neither onto or one-to-one and work with products to find something?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that f:A→B and g:C→D are bijections. Prove that f^-1 x g^-1 is the two sided inverse of f x g (and in particular, that f x g is a bijection as well).

3. The attempt at a solution

I was wondering if someone could direct me to a similar proof or point me in the direction of some definitions that can help me here. I don't even know how to structure this into a proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted