1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphical analysis, vx, ax, and xf problems

1. Sep 20, 2006 #1
    1.) A car travels at 15 m/s for 10s. It then speeds up with a constant acceleration of 2.00 m/s^2 for 15s. At the end of this time, what is its velocity?

My answer: Vxf= 45 m/s

2.) An object is moving in a straight line with constant acceleration. Initially it is traveling at 16 m/s. Three seconds later it is traveling at 10 m/s. How far does it move during this time?

My answer: 39m

3.) A ball is thrown downward from the top of a building with an initial speed of 25 m/s. It strikes the ground after 2.0s. How high is the building?

My answer: 30m

4.) I can't draw a graph on here, so I'll describe it to the best of my abilities. It is a velocity versus(m/s) vs. time (s) graph.

The graph starts at the origin. At 2.0s, velocity increases 20 m/s. From 2.0 to 4.0 seconds, velocity is constant at 20m/s. From 4.0 to 6.0s, velocity is decreasing by 20 m/s. At 6.0 to 8.0s, velocity is decreasing another 20 m/s.

question: What is the displacement from 0 to 8.0s?

My answer: Honestly, I didn't know how to approach this one. All i did was I added up and subtracted...and got 20m.

5.) Which student used the least precise scale?
    A. 49.06
    B. 49
    C. 50
    D. 49.2
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2006 #2

For question 4. Since displacement is the integral of velocity, you should calculate the area under the velocity curve, from 0 to 8 secods.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?