Graphing conves lense relationships to find focal lenght with slope

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
pices_zodiac
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I need to find the relationship between object-lens distance and image-lens distance for a lense(converging) but cannot graph the relationship in a way that the focal length is the slope for the graph



Homework Equations


1/u + 1/v = 1/f
where u= object lense distance and v= image lense distance and f= focal lenght

y=mx+b --> I would like m=focal length and b=0


The Attempt at a Solution


so far, I can only come up with:
-u ( 1/[uv]) = -1/v
thus ( 1/[uv]) is the slope.. but f= (v+u)/(uv)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can write the lens equation as
(1/u)/(1/f) + (1/v)/(1/f) = 1.
It is in the form of
x/a + y/b = 1.

Draw the graph 1/u vs 1/v. You will get a straight line with slope (-1). The intercept on x and y-axis are equal and it is equal to 1/f.