1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing functions and identifying features

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi there

I need assistance with two graphs that are causing me some problems

y=e(^-2x)(-1) and y=ln(x-2)+1

2. Relevant equations

I just need some guidence as to where to start - starting with a table - what range is approriate?

3. The attempt at a solution

Stuck

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]e^x[/itex] goes to 0 very rapidly for x< 0 and goes up very rapidly for x> 0. I would recommend taking x from -1 or -2 to +4 or +5.

ln(x) is only defined for x> 0 so ln(x- 2) is only defined for x> 2. I would recommend taking x from 2 up to, say 10.

Wouldn't it have been faster to just play around with some numbers rather than wait for someone to respond here? Do you not have a graphing calculator? It would have taken only a few seconds to try various value on a calculator.

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume you mean [itex]\displaystyle y=(-1)e^{-2x}\,,[/itex] which you could write as y = (e^(-2x))(-1), (the location of parentheses is important) or y = -e^(-2x), or better yet, y = -e-2x,

and y = ln(x-2) + 1 .

Are you familiar with the graphs of:
    [itex]\displaystyle y=e^{x}\,,[/itex]​
    and
    [itex]\displaystyle y=\ln(x)\ ?[/itex]​
    That's the place to start.

Then use what you've (hopefully) been learning about shifting, stretching, shrinking, flipping, etc. graphs.

5. Aug 28, 2012 #4
    Thank you, yes, you are right. I think just a lack of confidence in this aspect of Maths. Sorry to be a bother. Regards

6. Aug 28, 2012 #5
    Many thanks, I appreciate the guidance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook