1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing Magnetic Field and Current

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1
    This is not necessarily a homework problem, but it is a lab for physics with which I am struggling. For the lab, I took an 18 turn coil and charged it with various currents. We put a probe at the center of the coil and measured (using Data Studio) the magnetic field. The magnetic field was given in Gauss by Data Studio which I calculated to Tessla (1 Gauss = 1 *10^-4 Tessla). We measured the magnetic field from 0A to 3A increasing in .5A increments. At .5A, the magnetic field was 1 * 10 ^-4 , then at 1A the magnetic field was 3*10^-4. From there the magnetic field increased by 1*10^-4 with each increment.

Later I graphed this and to no surprise, it was not linear. I'm not sure why this happened though, any ideas? I know the graph should be linear.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2
    It looks to me as though you have only 1 reading (from 6) that does not lie on the straight line! ...that is not bad, can you check the readings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook