1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing the Potential Impact Parameter

1. Oct 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In class we derived the Schwarzschild interior solution (constant
    density). Examine the behaviour of non-radial null geodesics in this
    spacetime.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\Phi(r)=ln\left(\frac{3\sqrt{1-\frac{2M}{R}}}{2}-\frac{\sqrt{1-\frac{2Mr^2}{R^3}}}{2}\right)[/itex]

[itex]B(r)=re^{-\Phi}=\frac{2xR}{3\sqrt{1-\frac{2M}{R}}-\sqrt{1-\frac{2Mr^2}{R^3}}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have talked to my professor and what he is looking for is a plot of the potential impact parameter "B" as a function of "r/R". In order to do this I made the substitutions shown below and simplified the equation; however, I am left with an annoying 'R' in the top of the fraction. I'm not sure if my substitution is incorrect or I'm not noticing a way to get rid of it. Thanks for any help!

(1) [itex] R=\alpha M[/itex]

(2) [itex] r=Rx [/itex] where 'x' is what I will plot as the horizontal axis

(3)[itex] B=\frac{2xR}{3\sqrt{1-\frac{2}{\alpha}}-\sqrt{1-\frac{2x^2}{\alpha}}}[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2012 #2
    Just plot B/R vs r/R. I'm assuming that R is a constant?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook