Graphing Trajectory with Drag using Program

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving calculating the height of an object with drag and without drag. The given variables are mass, cross area, drag, initial velocity, gravity, and angle changes according to the position of the mouse. The drag equation is needed to solve for the height at intervals of a given distance. The conversation ends with the poster expressing gratitude for any help and offering assistance in return.
Urban_Monkey

Homework Statement

mass = 100 Kg
Cross Area = 4
Drag = .4
Initial velocity = 17.59 m/s
Gravity = 9.81
Angle Changes according to the position of the mouse
Terminal velocity = 31.649 ; Don't know if its relevant but I calculated this

Homework Equations

Y1 := X*tan(ang)-9.81*(X^2)/(2*((Vel*cos(ang))^2)) ; This is the equation without drag

The Attempt at a Solution

I have looked up everywhere for Drag equations, but I can't find an equation

That solves for the height Y at intervals of X
That has all the variables I have anything not listed isn't relevant or shouldn't be
Everything is constant

If there is anybody able to help me I will be forever grateful
I have been working on this for months, trying to figure this out, and have wondered why is wasn't working when finally found out there's drag in a simple game which turned out not to be so simple.

If there is anything that I can help with I will most gladly try and help.

Thank you for your time I really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is a "Graphing Trajectory with Drag" program?

A "Graphing Trajectory with Drag" program is a computer program that simulates the trajectory of an object in motion while taking into account the effects of air resistance or drag. It allows users to input parameters such as initial velocity, mass, and drag coefficient, and then generates a graph of the object's trajectory over time.

How does a "Graphing Trajectory with Drag" program work?

The program uses mathematical equations and algorithms to calculate the position and velocity of the object at each time step, taking into account the forces of gravity and air resistance. It then plots these values on a graph to show the trajectory of the object.

What are the benefits of using a "Graphing Trajectory with Drag" program?

Using a program allows for a more accurate and visual representation of an object's trajectory as compared to hand calculations. It also allows for easy manipulation of parameters to observe the effects on the trajectory.

What types of objects can be simulated using a "Graphing Trajectory with Drag" program?

The program can simulate the trajectory of any object, as long as its initial velocity, mass, and drag coefficient are known. This can include projectiles, vehicles, and even living organisms.

How can a "Graphing Trajectory with Drag" program be used in scientific research?

Scientists can use the program to study the effects of drag on different objects and how it impacts their trajectories. It can also be used to make predictions and calculations for real-world scenarios, such as the landing of a spacecraft or the flight of a golf ball.