Graphite electrode destroyed in electrolysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Hoffman apparatus with graphite electrodes and a makeshift power supply. The graphite electrode, which is made of powder, turns to powder on the negative connection, causing it to stop producing gas and leaving black mush in the electrolyte. The suggested solution is to use carbon fibers instead.
Samson4
I built a Hoffman apparatus with graphite electrodes. I hooked it up to a make shift power supply from an xbox powerblock. It was filled with battery acid for the electrolyte. Now, the graphite electrode is 99% graphite rod.

For some reason the graphite electrode on the negative(black) connection turns to powder. It stops producing gas; upon inspection, I find black mush floating in the electrolyte. Can anyone shed some light on the reason why? I'm tired of redoing this. It also happened with corrugated graphite ribbon electrodes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Samson4 said:
For some reason the graphite electrode on the negative(black) connection turns to powder. It stops producing gas; upon inspection, I find black mush floating in the electrolyte. Can anyone shed some light on the reason why?

The graphite electrode turns to powder because it is made of powder. Use carbon fibers instead.

1. What causes a graphite electrode to be destroyed during electrolysis?

Graphite electrodes can be destroyed during electrolysis due to the high temperatures and chemical reactions that occur during the process. The intense heat and corrosive chemicals can cause the graphite to break down and disintegrate over time.

2. How can you prevent a graphite electrode from being destroyed during electrolysis?

To prevent a graphite electrode from being destroyed during electrolysis, it is important to use a high-quality electrode made from a durable and heat-resistant material. It is also essential to properly monitor and control the electrolysis process to avoid excessive temperatures and chemical reactions that can damage the electrode.

3. Can a destroyed graphite electrode be repaired?

In most cases, a destroyed graphite electrode cannot be repaired. Once the electrode has been damaged, it will need to be replaced in order to continue the electrolysis process. Attempting to repair a damaged electrode can result in further damage and potentially compromise the entire electrolysis process.

4. What are the consequences of using a damaged graphite electrode during electrolysis?

Using a damaged graphite electrode during electrolysis can result in a decrease in efficiency and effectiveness of the process. It can also lead to contamination of the electrolytic solution, which can affect the quality of the end product. In extreme cases, using a damaged electrode can even lead to safety hazards.

5. Is it possible to recycle a destroyed graphite electrode?

Yes, it is possible to recycle a destroyed graphite electrode. The graphite can be broken down and reformed into new electrodes, reducing the need for new materials and reducing waste. Proper disposal and recycling of damaged electrodes is important for both economic and environmental reasons.

Back