Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grassmann variables and Weyl spinors

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    I just started studying supersymmetry, but I am a little bit confused with the superspace and superfield formalism. When expanding the vector superfield in components, one obtains therms of the form [itex]\theta^{\alpha}\chi_{\alpha}[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is a Grassmann number and [itex]\chi[/itex] is a Weyl vector.

I am aware that Grassmann numbers anticommute [itex]\{\theta_{\alpha},\theta_{\beta}\}=0[/itex], and that ordinary numbers commute with Grassmann variables. Do Weyl spinor components commute or anticommute with the Grassmann variables? ([itex]\{\theta_{\alpha},\chi_{\beta}\}=0[/itex] or [itex][\theta_{\alpha},\chi_{\beta}]=0[/itex]).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

Weyl spinor components are Grassman variables. As such they anticommute with other Grassman variables.

I'm not sure why you call the chi a "Weyl vector". The vector superfield V is not a vector, but it describes a vector multiplet and as such contains a field [itex]v_{\mu}[/itex] which is a spacetime vector.

4. Jul 9, 2012 #3
    Hi!
    I have a similar problem: what is the result of a commutator/anticommutator like this?
    [itex]\left\{ \left( \gamma^{\mu} \theta \right)_{\alpha} \partial_{\mu} , \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{\theta}^{\beta} } \right\}[/itex]
    Thank you

5. Jul 9, 2012 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

Use that the theta's (both the parameters and derivatives wrt them) anticommute and form an orthogonal basis for the fermionic part of superspace.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook