Gravitation and the Principle of Superposition

In summary: has solved the problem correctly - the distance between the sun and the probe can be expressed as a difference of the earth-sun distance and the earth-probe distance.
brendan3eb

Homework Statement

How far from Earth must a space prove be along a line toward the Sun, so that that the Sun's gravitational pull on the probe balances the Earth's pull

Homework Equations

F=Gm1m2/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

d1=distance from probe to Earth
distance from sun to Earth = 1.50x10^11 m
distance from the sun to probe = 1.5x10^11 m - d1
mass of Earth = 5.98x10^24 kg = m2
mass of sun = 1.99x10^30 kg = m3
m1 = mass of probe

I set the force on the probe from Earth equal to the force on the probe from the sun to get:
(Gm2m1)/d1^2 = (Gm1m3)/(d1^2-(3.0x10^11)d1+2.25x10^22)

When I solve for d1, I do not get the answer which is 2.6x10^5 Km. It could easily be a math error, but the fact that I have to use such tedious calculations makes me wonder if I am doing the problem correctly, especially as the mass of sun, mass of earth, distance from sun to Earth are not given.
(Gm2m1

Physics news on Phys.org
what is that equation you are using for the probe-sun distance?

just F=Gm1m2/D^2

I plugged in 1.5x10^11 - d1 into D^2

i see. i would suggest you make sure you solve the equation carefully as to not make arithmetic errors. I'm pretty sure that's all this is.

brendan3eb said:
just F=Gm1m2/D^2

I plugged in 1.5x10^11 - d1 into D^2

I do not believe that you are using the equations properly.

I suggest using R_1 to represent the distance between the Earth and satellite and R_2 to represent the distance between the Sun and the satellite.

You seem to be using 1 au-d1 to represent something here. But 1au is not the distance between the SATELLITE and anything; it is the distance between the Earth and Sun only.

Do you see what I mean? You should end up with two unknowns.

Casey

he's doing it correctly actually. the distance between the sun and the probe can be expressed as a difference of the earth-sun distance and the earth-probe distance.

I'll double-check. Thanks for the help fliinghier :)

fliinghier said:
he's doing it correctly actually. the distance between the sun and the probe can be expressed as a difference of the earth-sun distance and the earth-probe distance.

Yes I see now. He is using two unknowns, and he eliminated one of them already.

Kudos! It usually takes me two steps to acomplish what you have done in one! I will keep your method in mind for future problems.

Casey

1. What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that when two or more gravitational forces act on an object, the resulting force on the object is the vector sum of the individual forces. In other words, the total force is equal to the sum of the forces acting on the object from each individual source.

2. How does the principle of superposition apply to gravitation?

In the context of gravitation, the principle of superposition means that the gravitational force between two objects is the sum of the individual gravitational forces between each pair of particles in the two objects. This allows us to calculate the net gravitational force between any number of objects by treating each pair of objects as a separate system.

3. What is the relationship between mass and gravitational force?

The gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the mass of one or both objects increases, the gravitational force between them also increases, and as the distance between them increases, the gravitational force decreases.

4. Can the principle of superposition be applied to non-spherical objects?

Yes, the principle of superposition can be applied to any objects, regardless of their shape or size, as long as they have mass. This is because all objects, regardless of their shape, exert gravitational forces on each other and can be treated as point masses for the purposes of calculating the net gravitational force.

5. How is the principle of superposition used in astrophysics?

The principle of superposition is essential in understanding the complex gravitational interactions of celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. By applying this principle, scientists can accurately predict the motion and behavior of these objects in space. It is also used in the study of gravitational waves and the behavior of black holes.