Gravitation & Conservation of Momentum and Energy

In summary, in order to find the velocities with which two spheres of masses M and 2M collide after being released from rest with a distance of 12R between their centers, we can use the equation Fg = Gm1m2/r^2 and the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. Using the equation Fg = Gm1m2/r^2, we can set up the equation E = K + U to find the change in energy, which should equal 0 since there are no nonconservative forces doing work. This results in an equation for v1 in terms of v2, but it also includes the radius R. To solve for v1 without R, we can use the conservation of momentum
blackheart
1. Two spheres having masses M and 2M and radii R and 3R, respectively, are simultaneously released from rest when the distance between their centers is 12R. Assume the two spheres interact only with each other and we wish to find the speeds with which they collide. Write an equation from one of the models and solve it for v1, the velocity of the sphere of mass M at any time after release in terms of v2, the velocity of 2M.

2. Fg = Gm1m2/r^2

Change in E = E

3. Do I just use conservation of energy?

E = K + U

Ei = 0 + [G(M)(2M)]/(R^2)

Ef = 1/2Mv1^2 + 1/2(2M)v2^2 + 0

change in E = [1/2Mv1^2 + 1/2(2M)v2^2] - [G(M)(2M)]/(R^2)
This equals 0 since there are no nonconservation forces doing work.
change in E= Wnc = 0

My answer is sqrt(M/36R - 2v2^2)

This is confusing me because it asks for v1 in terms of v2 and I have R in the answer. How do I solve it without R?

Physics news on Phys.org
I also have to solve this using conservation of momentum.

Mv1i+2Mv2i = Mv1f + 2Mv2f

I don't get how to solve this for v1 in terms of v2 when I don't know initial or final velocities.

1. What is gravitation and how does it affect objects?

Gravitation is a force of attraction between two objects with mass. This force is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space. The strength of the force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

2. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system (a system with no external forces acting on it) remains constant. This means that the total amount of momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total amount of momentum after the collision or interaction.

3. How is energy conserved in a system?

Energy is conserved in a system when the total amount of energy before a process or interaction is equal to the total amount of energy after the process or interaction. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.

4. What is the relationship between gravitation and conservation of momentum and energy?

The relationship between these concepts is that they are all fundamental laws of physics that govern the behavior of objects and systems. Gravitation is a force that affects the motion of objects, while conservation of momentum and energy dictate that the total amount of momentum and energy in a system remains constant, even in the presence of external forces like gravity.

5. How do these concepts apply to real-world situations?

These concepts have many practical applications in the real world, such as understanding the motion of planets and satellites in orbit, predicting the outcome of collisions in sports or car accidents, and designing machines and structures that can efficiently use and conserve energy. They also play a crucial role in fields such as astrophysics, engineering, and mechanics.