Gravitational attraction between 3 masses.

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving finding the location of a third small mass that would experience a net gravitational force of zero when placed between two other small masses. The problem is approached using the equation F = G(m1)(m2)/d^2, and the correct solution is found to be G(2M)(3M)/(3.60-x)^2. The conversation also mentions the use of the letter m instead of M to represent the test mass, and an error in the original calculation is discovered and corrected.
lsatwd

Homework Statement

A small mass M and a small mass 3M are 3.60m apart. Where should you put a third small mass so that the net gravitational force on it due to the other two masses is zero?(From mass M)

Homework Equations

F = G(m1)(m2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Code:
I envisioned the problem to originally look like this: 
[1M]                                       [3M]
And adding in the 3rd mass I envisioned it to look something like this:
[1M]    (1M)                               [3M]

I then tried solving the problem by setting the two unknown variables (the distance between the 3rd mass and 1st mass and the 3rd mass and the 2nd mass) like this:
x = Distance between [1M] and (1M)
3.60-x = distance between (1M) and [3m]

I was thinking this would give me an equation looking like this:

G[1M](1M)/x^2 = G(1M)[3M]/(3.60-x)^2

I tried solving this but it's not giving me the right answer... Should the right equation above be G(2M)(3M)/(3.60-x)^2 because of combined mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
lsatwd said:
I was thinking this would give me an equation looking like this:

G[1M](1M)/x^2 = G(1M)[3M]/(3.60-x)^2

I tried solving this but it's not giving me the right answer.
As an aside, the test mass does not have to be of mass M; it would be better to write it's mass as m (little m), meaning it has very little mass.

You claimed the quoted equation is "not giving me the right answer." That implies that either you know what the right answer should be or that some agent knows your result is wrong. Show your work.

ahh never mind, i see.

It turns out i just suck at math. that equation gave me 1.32 which was the right answer. thanks for the help

1. What is gravitational attraction between 3 masses?

The gravitational attraction between 3 masses refers to the force of attraction that exists between three objects due to their mass and distance from each other. It is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies.

2. How is gravitational attraction between 3 masses calculated?

The gravitational attraction between 3 masses can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of attraction between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law can be extended to calculate the force between three masses by considering each mass individually and summing up the forces.

3. What factors affect the strength of gravitational attraction between 3 masses?

The strength of gravitational attraction between 3 masses is affected by the masses of the objects involved and the distance between them. The larger the masses of the objects, the stronger the force of attraction will be. Similarly, the closer the objects are to each other, the stronger the force of attraction will be.

4. How does the arrangement of the masses affect gravitational attraction?

The arrangement of the masses can affect the gravitational attraction between 3 masses. For example, if the masses are arranged in a straight line, the force of attraction between them will be different than if they are arranged in a triangle. This is because the distance between the masses in each scenario is different, which affects the strength of the force.

5. Can gravitational attraction between 3 masses be canceled out?

No, the gravitational attraction between 3 masses cannot be canceled out. According to Newton's Third Law of Motion, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, while the force of attraction between two masses may be canceled out by another force, the overall force between all three masses will still exist.