1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational attraction question

1. Dec 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    two point masses (400 kg) are 10^14 m apart in deep space under no gravitational attraction besides each others. find their velocity when they are 1000 m apart.

2. Relevant equations
    -G (m_1m_2)/r^2=F

3. The attempt at a solution
    I integrated the equation above plugging in the 400 kg for m1 and m2 from 10^14 to 1000. I believe this gave me the work required to bring one of them to that distance so i set it equal to ΔKE. This became (1/2)mv_f^2 because they start from rest. Now my question is whether that mass is 400 kg or 800 kg or if I'm on the right track. I just put one of the mass in that then solved and got 7.3226*10^-6. And I think that is the velocity of each of the masses. Anybody care to disagree? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

As they come together, their mutual gravitational PE is transformed into the kinetic energy of both masses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook