Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

- gravitational coupling constant value?

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    URGENT- gravitational coupling constant value?

I urgently need to find a value for the gravitational coupling constant since the only on ei have is from wikipedia. Ive looked on the partcicle data group but couldnt find it there. Anyone?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Re: URGENT- gravitational coupling constant value?

I assume this is homework? (Why else would it be urgent?)

If you mean Newton's constant, the PDG most certainly does have it.
  4. Jan 5, 2009 #3

Maybe Karnten07 is falling and trying to calculate her impact time.
  5. Jan 5, 2009 #4

Gravity is not part of standard model. There's no coupling constant for gravity in the same sense as we have for electroweak and strong interactions.
  6. Jan 5, 2009 #5

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I'm not sure if this is true. One can certainly write down a Lagrangian for gravity, the Einstein-Hilbert action,

[itex]\mathcal L = \sqrt{-g}(M_{Pl}^2 R)[/itex]

Further, one could go ahead and quantize this as a theory for a spin-2 graviton, i.e. by writing the graviton as the perturbation on the flat Minkowski metric:

[itex]g_{\mu\nu} = \eta_{\mu\nu} + h(x)_{\mu\nu}[/itex]

Upon expanding the scalar curvature, one finds (schematically)

[itex]\mathcal L = M_{Pl}^2(\partial h\partial h + h\partial h \partial h + h^2 \partial h\partial h + \cdots)[/itex]

One can then canonically normalize and read off coupling constants. In fact, one can do low-energy (weak-field) calculations of gravitons. A very pedagogical example can be found in Zee, chapter VIII.1 where he calculates the gravitational interaction between two photons. (He also does the corresponding classical GR calculation to show that the answers match.)

The theory is non-renormalizable, but one can still perform calculations with the understanding that it is a low-energy effective theory for some quantum theory of gravity.

7. Jan 5, 2009 #6

I think you are right, I wanted to post something like this, but I'm not a gravitation aficionados.

So I had a question. We can define the (e.g.) strong coupling constant g/T as the amplitude to emit a gluon in a sphere of radius T. Could I somehow cheat and define similarly the gravitational coupling constant, hiding under the carpet the (or showing thus the equivalent problem of) definition of graviton ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?