Values of the coupling constants

In summary: For comparison, the 2018 edition of the Review of Particle Physics gives for this value "0.1181(11)" which means that the uncertainty is 0.00011. This is an important difference: The quoted number assumes that the coupling is constant at all energy scales, whereas the latter number takes into account that the coupling changes with the energy scale at which it is probed.In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about coupling constants, particularly in the context of the figure in a source on running alphas. Questions are raised regarding the accuracy of the numbers for the inverse of the strengths of the electromagnetic, strong, and weak forces, as well as the discrepancy between the weak and strong force being 10000 times smaller according
gerald V
I am heavily confused about the coupling constants. I primarily refer to this source https://www.physicsmasterclasses.org/exercises/keyhole/en/projects/running_alphas.html , but other sources were not able to lift my confusion either.

First, in the figure, the scales appear as quite failed. The horizontal axis clearly is meant as logarithmic, so there should not be a zero-point. The vertical scale is even more misleading, but very likely it shall be logarithmic as well. The inverse strength of electromagnetism, which is 137, can be read off quite well. For the strength of the strong force, the article gives 0,119, so its inverse is 8,40. Trying to interprete the scale, one can argue that the figure tries to show this value as well. From other sources, I got for the inverse of the weak coupling strength 31,7, and this seems to be what the figure shows.

My first question: Are the numbers 137, 8,40 and 31,7 correct or what are the correct values and what would be a good reference to look them up?

My second question: Why does this and other sources say that the weak coupling constant is about 10000 times smaller than the strong coupling constant, whereas actually the factor only is about 4? Even, the weak force is stronger than the electromagnetic force by a factor of about 4 (the inverse square of the sine of the Weinberg angle).

My third question refers to the running. I had thought that the coupling constants run to unity, whereas the figure shows that their inverses roughly run to 100. But maybe I had misunderstood this „unification“ as „becoming unity“.

Thank you very much in advance for any answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also not sure I can make sense of the figure in your link. A somewhat more authoritative source might be the Review of Particle Physics by the Particle Data Group on gauge coupling unification, http://pdg.lbl.gov/2019/reviews/rpp2018-rev-guts.pdf#page8, which has essentially the same plot (but also a lot of stuff that might be beyond I-level). Note that the running is actually not determined for the electromagnetic and weak force (which are low energy phenomena) but for the coupling constants of the SU(2)xU(1) theory at high energies (see the second footnote on the first page of that pdf for how to calculate between ##\{e,\sin\Theta_W\}## and ##\{g1,g2\}##). What they refer to as ##\alpha_3## is indeed the strong coupling. Equations (115.4), (115.5) and (115.9) give the input values they use (and PDG is a good the reference for this). Note that they actually go the other way around and predict the third coupling constant from assuming gauge coupling unification, e.g. from the assumption that all couplings are equal at some high scale (I hope this also answers your third question, “gauge coupling unification” = “all couplings become the same coupling at some high scale”).

When one says that the weak force is 10000 times smaller, I assume what is meant is the effective coupling in a low energy regime, e.g. relevant for decays of hadrons, mesons and muons with masses between hundreds of MeV to a few GeV. The weakness of the weak force here comes from the fact that the corresponding bosons are massive, and interactions below the boson mass are suppressed with the inverse of that mass squared. The Z and W masses are ##\approx 80## and ##\approx 91.2## GeV, so close to ##100## GeV, for processes around ##1## GeV we have ##(1 \mathrm{GeV} / 100 \mathrm{GeV})^2## which gives the 10000 fold suppression.

Likes vanhees71
gerald V said:
The horizontal axis clearly is meant as logarithmic, so there should not be a zero-point. The vertical scale is even more misleading, but very likely it shall be logarithmic as well.
Both axes are logarithmic and none of them includes zero. If you would extend the x-axis more to the left then the couplings would show deviations from the nice linear plot.
gerald V said:
My first question: Are the numbers 137, 8,40 and 31,7 correct or what are the correct values and what would be a good reference to look them up?
There are publications measuring them but they can be quite technical.
gerald V said:
Why does this and other sources say that the weak coupling constant is about 10000 times smaller than the strong coupling constant, whereas actually the factor only is about 4?
I guess they mean the actual strength here, not the coupling constant. The weak interaction has massive bosons, that makes it very weak at lower energies.
gerald V said:
My third question refers to the running. I had thought that the coupling constants run to unity, whereas the figure shows that their inverses roughly run to 100. But maybe I had misunderstood this „unification“ as „becoming unity“.
Unification as in "union", "together": They become the same value, which doesn't have to be 1.

Already the first sentence in the above quoted document makes me a bit puzzled. Particularly in the case of QCD you have to be specific about in which context the strong coupling ##\alpha_{\text{s}}=g^2/(4 \pi)## is measured. The quoted value seems to be a value measured in deep inelastic scattering at energy-transfer scales around the Z-boson mass of around 90 GeV.

1. What are coupling constants?

Coupling constants are numerical values that describe the strength of the interaction between two particles or fields in a physical system. They are used in various areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and particle physics, to calculate the probability of certain interactions occurring.

2. How are coupling constants determined?

Coupling constants are typically determined through experimental measurements or theoretical calculations. In experiments, scientists can manipulate the physical system and observe how the coupling constant affects the outcome. In theoretical calculations, coupling constants are derived from mathematical equations that describe the behavior of the system.

3. What is the significance of coupling constants?

Coupling constants play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe. They help scientists make predictions about the behavior of particles and fields and can provide insights into the underlying laws of nature.

4. Can coupling constants change?

Yes, coupling constants can change depending on the energy scale at which they are measured. This is known as the running of coupling constants and is a key concept in quantum field theory. As the energy scale increases, the coupling constant may become stronger or weaker, indicating a change in the strength of the interaction.

5. Are there different types of coupling constants?

Yes, there are different types of coupling constants that correspond to different fundamental forces in the universe. For example, the strong nuclear force is described by the strong coupling constant, while the electromagnetic force is described by the fine-structure constant. Each type of coupling constant has its own unique value and plays a specific role in the behavior of particles and fields.