Gravitational Field Difference on body near a black hole.

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the gravitational field difference on a human body near a black hole using Newton's universal law of gravitation. The person had obtained their numbers but felt that the difference was not as huge as they had imagined. They attached their writeup for review and were reminded that 1020 Newtons is a significant force, even compared to the Middle Ages where people were pulled apart with less force. A request was made to not post attachments in MS Word format.
BCHurricane89

Homework Statement

This is not a homework problem per se, but more of boredom, and curiosity. I was trying to calculate the gravitational field difference on a human body if it were near a black hole. Used Newtons universal law of gravitation, and such, and got my numbers. Despite the numbers I got, it just does not seem like a HUGE difference than what I had imagined. Might I have did something wrong? I have attached my writeup on the subject with all the work and calculations done. See what you think. Thanks!

Attachments

• GravitationalFieldDifference.doc
    66 KB · Views: 261
Physics news on Phys.org
1020 Newtons? Seems like a huge difference to me! Remember that people were pulled apart during the Middle Ages using much less force than that. In fact, that's probably a larger force than you'd find pretty much anywhere on Earth.

P.S. It would be much appreciated if you didn't post attachments in MS Word format.

Last edited:

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region in space where an object with mass experiences a force due to the presence of another object with mass.

2. How does a black hole affect the gravitational field around it?

A black hole is a region of space with a very strong gravitational field. Its immense mass and density cause a distortion in the fabric of space-time, creating a strong gravitational pull that can even prevent light from escaping.

3. How does the gravitational field differ near a black hole compared to other objects with mass?

The gravitational field near a black hole is significantly stronger than other objects with the same mass. This is because the mass of a black hole is concentrated in a very small space, making its gravitational pull much more intense.

4. What is the difference in gravitational field strength between a black hole and a star with the same mass?

The gravitational field near a black hole is significantly stronger than a star with the same mass. This is because a star's mass is spread out over a larger volume, while a black hole's mass is concentrated in a smaller space.

5. How does the gravitational field difference near a black hole affect objects near it?

The strong gravitational field near a black hole can cause extreme tidal forces, stretching and pulling on objects near it. It also has the ability to bend the path of light, creating distortions in the objects' appearance and making it difficult to observe them from a distance.