Gravitational Field Problem - Integrate?

In summary, the problem involves determining the gravitational field due to a nonuniform thin rod of length L with mass per unit length λ = Cx, where C is a constant, located on the x-axis at position x = x0, where x0 > L. Using the equations F=GMm/d^2 and g=GM/d^2, the attempt at a solution involved using the infinitesimal mass element located at position x and integrating the expression Gdm/(x0 - x)^2 to calculate the gravitational field at x = x0.
Mmm_Pasta

Homework Statement

A nonuniform thin rod of length L lies on the x axis. One end of the rod is at the origin, and the other end is at x = L. The rod's mass per unit length λ varies as λ = Cx, where C is a constant. (Thus, an element of the rod has mass dm = λdx.)

Determine the gravitational field due to the rod on the x-axis at x = x0, where x0 > L. (Use the following as necessary: G, M, L, x0.)

Homework Equations

F=GMm/d^2
g=GM/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the mass varies depending what L is, the equation would be Gdm/(x0-L)^2 which is Gλdx/(x0-L)^2. Do I then integrate to get rid of the dx? If I do I am not sure what dx would be to begin with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmm_Pasta said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the mass varies depending what L is, the equation would be Gdm/(x0-L)^2 which is Gλdx/(x0-L)^2.

This looks close, although I think it should be (x0 - x)2 in the denominator, since you are talking about the contribution due to the infinitesimal mass element located at position x.

Mmm_Pasta said:
Do I then integrate to get rid of the dx? If I do I am not sure what dx would be to begin with.

What do you mean by "I don't know what the dx would be to begin with?" :confused: Do you know calculus?

I put L because x0 is greater than L, but now I know why it is x. Never mind about the dx; I worded the question wrong, but I know now. Thanks. =)

Last edited:

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is an invisible force field that surrounds a massive object, such as a planet or a star. It is created by the mass of the object and affects the motion of other objects in its vicinity.

2. How is the gravitational field strength calculated?

The gravitational field strength is calculated using the formula F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between gravitational potential and gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential is the potential energy per unit mass at a certain point in space, while gravitational potential energy is the total energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field.

4. How do you integrate a gravitational field problem?

To integrate a gravitational field problem, you would need to use the equation F = G(m1m2)/r^2 and take into account the direction and magnitude of the force, as well as any other given variables such as mass or distance.

5. What are some real-life applications of gravitational fields?

Gravitational fields have many real-life applications, such as explaining the motion of planets and predicting the behavior of celestial objects, as well as in engineering for building structures and vehicles that can withstand the effects of gravity.