Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational force between everyday objects

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1
    Gravitational force between everyday objects............

I know It's a common question....but i could not find satisfactory answer.....the question is "if every objects are attracting each others then why don't we see the daily objects attracting each others.....?? Then how could Cavendish make his experiment.....??....

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Gravitational force between everyday objects............

The gravitational force is extremely weak. As such, other forces usually completely overwhelm the gravitational force between everyday objects.

Just think, you have the entire Earth pulling down on you, and yet it is still relatively easy to jump and walk around.

Cavendish used extremely sensitive measurements to do his experiments.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavendish_experiment

4. Jul 7, 2011 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Like Matterwave said, the force of gravity is extremely weak for objects with masses near ourselves and everyday objects. If they entire mass of the earth only pulls us down at 9.8 m/s^2, an object a few billion times less massive or more wouldn't be noticeable at all.

5. Jul 7, 2011 #4

even on a near frictionless surface like ice, two 1000 kg wouldnt make it to eachother because the force of static friction is more then gravity can overcome. Thats why you dont see two coffee mugs sliding towards eachother in your kitchen

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  6. Jul 8, 2011 #5

Oh...thanks everyone..this is what i wanted to know ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook