1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational force confusing question

1. Sep 24, 2015 #1
    I have this question on my practice test that I can't figure out. "Just as one jumps out of a plane what is their gravitational force given that the mass is 70kg." The thing is, for me to use the gravitational force formula I need to masses. The test only has the one. Am I missing something? Am I to stupid to look over such an obvious answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Presumably the plane is flying in earth's atmosphere.

4. Sep 25, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can also assume that it is not too far away from the ground.

I moved the thread to our homework section.

5. Sep 28, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is that the exact wording of the question. I note it asks for "their" gravitational force. Would that be asking for the gravitational force between two identical skydivers each of mass 70kg?

Edit. On the other hand it mentions "one" leaving the plane.

6. Sep 28, 2015 #5
    Why dont uh try assuming that the plane's height is negligible with respect to radius of earth and try mass of earth for second mass so the eqn becomes F=G×m1×M/r^2 (in this case "M" is equal to mass of earth

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted