Gravitational Force of Particles

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the gravitational force between three particles with given masses and positions. The attempted solution involves breaking down the force into x and y components, but the correct solution is different due to an error in the distance between the particles. The correct distance is given as 5j, while the attempted solution uses a distance of 5.1j. The conversation then continues with a similar problem involving the distance between two people in a given position.
heartshapedbox

Homework Statement

There are three particles;
1) 26kg at 12i-hat
2)13kg at -5j-hat
3)13 kg at 5j-hat

A) What is the gravitational force on the 26kg mass due to the 13kg mass at -5j-hat

Homework Equations

F= GMm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

A) IN COMPONENTS;
Y Component
F=6.67E-11(13)(26)/5^2
9.01E-10 j-hat
X Component
F=6.67E-11(13)(26)/12^2
=1.57E-10 i-hat

I have solved this problem before in the exact same way and gotten the correct answers. I don't know why there answers are incorrect. Could someone point it out please? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
−1.2E−10i-hat −5.1E-11 j-hat

Correct answers...

Still unsure how the attempt to solve is wrong, help please?

@heartshapedbox
Is the distance between the objects 5j, 12i, or some other number?

256bits said:
@heartshapedbox
Is the distance between the objects 5j, 12i, or some other number?
Yes that's the distance!

heartshapedbox said:
Yes that's the distance!
No it isn't.
If fred is 3 m in front of you and Ella is 4m to your right, how far apart are Fred and Ella?

1. What is the gravitational force of particles?

The gravitational force of particles is a fundamental force in nature that describes the attraction between two particles due to their masses.

2. How is the gravitational force of particles calculated?

The gravitational force of particles can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force between two particles is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between gravitational force and gravitational field?

Gravitational force refers to the actual force of attraction between two particles, while gravitational field refers to the region of space around a massive object in which other particles experience a force due to its mass.

4. How does the distance between particles affect the gravitational force?

The gravitational force between two particles decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the particles.

5. What is the role of mass in the gravitational force of particles?

Mass is a key factor in determining the strength of the gravitational force between particles. The greater the mass of the particles, the stronger the gravitational force between them will be.