Gravitational Potential Energy of a box

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kylepetten
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



a 18.5 kg box is slid up a 5.6 m long ramp that makes an angle of 33 degrees with the floor. What is the gravitational potential energy of the box relative to the floor?

m = 18.5 kg
d = 5.6 m
http://musr.physics.ubc.ca/~jess/symbols/Theta.gif = 33°
PEg = ?

Homework Equations



Eg = mgh

I think. haha

The Attempt at a Solution



I have absolutely no idea. I am hoping someone on here could get me started with this question, not give me the answer, but just get me started. Thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right about [tex]E_{gp}=mgh[/tex]. Height [tex]h[/tex] is the only problem and it can easily be obtained by using trigonometry.
 
N-Gin said:
You are right about [tex]E_{gp}=mgh[/tex]. Height [tex]h[/tex] is the only problem and it can easily be obtained by using trigonometry.

Ahh, silly me! Thank you very much! Have a nice day :)