1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Potential Energy - Orbits

1. Oct 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A satellite is in a circular orbit 655km above Earth's surface. Determine the magnitude of the gravitational acceleration at this height.

2. Relevant equations
    Eg=mgh
    Eg=-GMm/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    Would I just set the aforementioned eqations equal to each other and re-arrange to solve for g? I would also have to solve for the change in Eg, as well, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No. Instead of potential energy, think in terms of forces and acceleration. What is the gravitational force on the satellite. (Tip: Don't be so quick to plug in numbers.)

4. Oct 20, 2012 #3
    Well, it's also experiencing a centripetal force. If we set Fc=Fg, we can get the velocity of the orbit, but, other than that, I'm not sure how to do this without the mass of the sat.

5. Oct 20, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You won't need the mass--just call it 'm'. When you calculate the acceleration, it will drop out.

What is Newton's law of Universal Gravity?

6. Oct 20, 2012 #5
    Got it - I was overthinking a rather simple question..., thanks.

7. Oct 20, 2012 #6
    Also, E=mgh only works for constant gravitational fields. i.e. at the surface of a very large mass (like the Earth).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook