Gravitational potential energy (roller coaster)

In summary: For point D, the roller coaster has already reached its maximum speed and cannot go any faster, so there is no need to calculate it.In summary, the roller coaster will go fastest at the lowest point, and it will come to a halt in 5 metres along a level section at point E. The equation I used was the gravitational potential energy equation.
MsHomework

Homework Statement

A 1000kg roller coaster, with its passengers, starts from rest at point A( h= 9.5 m) on a friction track whose profile is shown in the diagram above at right.
a) what is its maximum speed?
b) with what speed does the roller coaster arrive at point e?
c) What constant braking force would have to be applied to the roller coaster at point E, to bring it to rest in a horizontal distance of 5.0 m
Given data (from diagram)
Point A- 9.5m
Point B- 6.5m
Point C- 9.2m
Point D- 0.50m
Point E- 5.5m

Homework Equations

Ep= mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the gravitational potential energy equation to find gravitational potential energy at point A. I don't know if I need to get it for all the points! Also I don't understand where to start in this equation. I also wrote down the givens.

Attachments

• Lame roller coaster.jpg
    Lame roller coaster.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 967
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you attach the diagram? Oh, I see, you provided the relevant heights.

So it will be going fastest at the lowest point, assuming that is D. Is there another equation you know, relating energy to a moving body?

For part A, Ep = mgh.
Conservation of energy law states that the Ep at the top is equal to the Ek at the bottom. Ek = .5mv^2
So, mgh = .5mv^2, where v is the velocity at the bottom.

For the next part, I would use the conservation of energy law again. Except this time, you have velocity at the point where potential energy is the highest, so you have to account for the total mechanical energy of the system. At point B, which I'm assuming is at the top of another hill at 6.5m, Ep + Ek = Ep + Ek. The right side of the equation is for point B, and the left side of the equation is for the bottom of the hill after point A. mgh + .5mv^2 = mgh + .5mv^2., solve for v, and do so until you get to point e.

For C, F=ma
you know the mass, so now you need acceleration
V = SQRT(2AD)
solve for A, since D is 5 and V is the velocity you're going at point e that you just found

then, F = ma

Kinetic energy, work. I also know that Kinetic energy is equal to work.?

The height in part a are the same right?

V = SQRT(2AD). What does sqrt stand for? Sorry I have never used that!

PotentialE said:
For part A, Ep = mgh.
Conservation of energy law states that the Ep at the top is equal to the Ek at the bottom. Ek = .5mv^2
So, mgh = .5mv^2, where v is the velocity at the bottom.

For the next part, I would use the conservation of energy law again. Except this time, you have velocity at the point where potential energy is the highest, so you have to account for the total mechanical energy of the system. At point B, which I'm assuming is at the top of another hill at 6.5m, Ep + Ek = Ep + Ek. The right side of the equation is for point B, and the left side of the equation is for the bottom of the hill after point A. mgh + .5mv^2 = mgh + .5mv^2., solve for v, and do so until you get to point e.

For C, F=ma
you know the mass, so now you need acceleration
V = SQRT(2AD)
solve for A, since D is 5 and V is the velocity you're going at point e that you just found

then, F = ma

a) is it 99.05 m/s (also do i use the same height)
b) for this I have to do every height there is?
c) how is D 5? in the diagram you only have 5.5 and/or 0.5!

How did you arrive at 99.05? Without explanation, who is to say whether you are right or not??

In part c, the track levels out at a height of 5.5 metres. You want to bring the car to a halt in 5 metres along this level section, being the end of track.

Last edited:
uh I found 99.05 by solving mgh= hv^2.
(1000) (9.81) (0.5) = 0.5v^2
4905/0.5= 0.5v^2/0.5
Square(9810)= square(v^2)
99.05m/s= v

okay, now that I looked at the diagram let's approach this in another way.
Let's find the Ep and Ek and velocities at each point, that way we can calculate the correct max speed, which will probably be at the lowest height, and get the right values for each point.

so for part A, there is no velocity, so it's all potential.
Ep = mgh = 93100 Joules

Point B, the total mechanical energy of point A must equal the total mechanical energy of point B, B has Ep and Ek, because there is height and velocity

mgh = .5mv^2 + mgh
(1000)(9.8)(9.5) = (.5)(1000)(v^2) + (1000)(9.8)(6.5)
93100 = 500v^2 + 63700
29400 = (.5)(1000)v^2
58.8 = v^2
v = 7.668m/s at point B

Moving onto point C, Energy at point B = .5mv^2 + mgh at point C
(.5)(1000)(7.668^2) + (1000)(9.8)(6.5) = .5(1000)v^2 + (1000)(9.8)(9.2)
v at point c = 15.065 m/s

same thing for point D,
.5mv^2 + mgh = .5mv^2 + mgh
v = 19.936m/s

and finally for point E,
.5mv^2 + mgh = .5mv^2 + mgh
v = 17.305m/s

A) so, our max speed is at point D, which is 19.936
B) we just got is, 17.305
C) now we're moving in the horizontal. Our initial speed is 17.305 and our final speed is 0.
F=MA
to find acceleration, or in this case,V = SQRT(2AD)
17.305 = the square root of (2*5*A)
so, A = 29.947
F = 29947N

am I correct?

sorry, F = MA , = 518.232N

How did you get 518.232N? Like I know F= MA but what acceleration did you use?

... A = 29.947? the one we found on the last step

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. In the context of a roller coaster, it is the energy that the roller coaster train has when it is at the top of a hill or the peak of a loop.

2. How is gravitational potential energy related to roller coasters?

Roller coasters use gravitational potential energy to power their movements. The initial rise to the top of a hill or the peak of a loop is powered by the potential energy gained from the train's position at the top. As the train descends, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, allowing the train to move through the track.

3. What factors affect the gravitational potential energy of a roller coaster?

The gravitational potential energy of a roller coaster is affected by the mass of the train, the height of the hills or loops, and the acceleration due to gravity. The higher the train is lifted, the more potential energy it will have. The heavier the train is, the more potential energy it will have. And the stronger the gravitational pull, the more potential energy the train will have.

4. How is gravitational potential energy calculated for a roller coaster?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the object. For a roller coaster, you would use the mass of the train and the height of the highest point on the track to calculate the potential energy.

5. Can gravitational potential energy be converted into other forms of energy on a roller coaster?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy as the roller coaster train moves through the track. It can also be converted into sound energy as the train's wheels and brakes make contact with the track, and into thermal energy due to friction between the train and the track.