Conservation of Energy for a roller coaster

In summary, the question is asking which statement is true if it can be assumed that the car has the same speed at points A and E. The correct answer is (b.), as the energy at A and E is not the same due to the difference in height, indicating a gain in kinetic energy at E. However, the assumption of a frictionless system and the wording of choices d and e make this question unclear.
HaoPhysics

Homework Statement

upload_2017-5-5_18-19-7.png
If it can be assumed that the car has the same speed at points A and E, which of the following statements is true?
a. The net work done in this system is 0
b. The net work done in this system is positive
c. The net work done in this system is negative
d. The net work done in this system is positive for the roller coaster but 0 for the slope
e. The net work done in this system is 0 for the roller coaster but positive for the slope

Homework Equations

We know that in this scenario, energy is completely cosnerved. Therefore, the total energy at A equals the total energy at E.

The Attempt at a Solution

It can't be (d.) or (e.) because the work is the same for the roller coaster and slope due to Newton's Third Law.

I think it's (a.) since the net change in energy is 0, since the cart returns to position E with the same potential energy.

Correct answer is (b.), I don't see why.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the work-energy theorem have to say about all this?

HaoPhysics said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 198809If it can be assumed that the car has the same speed at points A and E, which of the following statements is true?
a. The net work done in this system is 0
b. The net work done in this system is positive
c. The net work done in this system is negative
d. The net work done in this system is positive for the roller coaster but 0 for the slope
e. The net work done in this system is 0 for the roller coaster but positive for the slope

Homework Equations

We know that in this scenario, energy is completely cosnerved. Therefore, the total energy at A equals the total energy at E.

The Attempt at a Solution

It can't be (d.) or (e.) because the work is the same for the roller coaster and slope due to Newton's Third Law.

I think it's (a.) since the net change in energy is 0, since the cart returns to position E with the same potential energy.

Correct answer is (b.), I don't see why.
The energy in A is different to the energy on E since E is at a lower height. It should mean that the car gained some kinetic energy at E. I think the statement is wrong because if the car has the same speed on both points, it should have same kinetic energy that also means same height in a conservative system of forces. On the other hand remember that even with energy conservation the changes in energy are due to work.

EDIT:
I think that as the diference in height is small. the asumption is to consider only the change in potential energy to compute the work done.

Diegor said:
The energy in A is different to the energy on E since E is at a lower height.
Which energy are you talking about? Kinetic, potential or mechanical?

kuruman said:
Which energy are you talking about? Kinetic, potential or mechanical?
Potential [emoji5] sorry. And kinetic should be diferent also so mechanical energy is the same.

Diegor said:
And kinetic should be diferent also ...
But the assumption is that the speed is the same at points A and E ...
HaoPhysics said:
If it can be assumed that the car has the same speed at points A and E ...

kuruman said:
But the assumption is that the speed is the same at points A and E ...
Yes you are correct, that is the assumption!

It is a standard rule in logic that if you start with a falsehood you can prove anything.
How can it be frictionless, no change in KE of the cart, loss of PE of the cart? Where has the energy gone?
Air drag, or is "frictionless" supposed to rule that out too? The slope itself is not fixed?

Bizarre question.

Likes Diegor
haruspex said:
How can it be frictionless, no change in KE of the cart, loss of PE of the cart? Where has the energy gone?
Air drag, or is "frictionless" supposed to rule that out too? The slope itself is not fixed?
Probably air drag or some such dissipative force; I cannot think of another mechanism that would convert PE to something other than KE.

It is not a well-constructed question for testing the understanding of the work-energy theorem. Choices d and e are confusing. I think the words "in the system" must be removed from them if the choices are to make sense. I assume that by "system" is meant "roller coaster + track".

kuruman said:
Probably air drag or some such dissipative force; I cannot think of another mechanism that would convert PE to something other than KE.

It is not a well-constructed question for testing the understanding of the work-energy theorem. Choices d and e are confusing. I think the words "in the system" must be removed from them if the choices are to make sense. I assume that by "system" is meant "roller coaster + track".

It is a weird question. But I guess the central point is that if we were to ignore the friction-less part, then the change in kinetic energy is negative, since the car would've had greater speed since it is at a lower height. So some kinetic energy was lost.

Thanks everyone for their input on this question!

HaoPhysics said:
It is a weird question. But I guess the central point is that if we were to ignore the friction-less part, then the change in kinetic energy is negative, since the car would've had greater speed since it is at a lower height. So some kinetic energy was lost.
No, the cart is at the same speed, so no (net) KE was lost. (PE was lost.) What does that tell you about the work done on the cart?

HaoPhysics said:
... then the change in kinetic energy is negative, ...
The choices are contingent upon the statement
HaoPhysics said:
If it can be assumed that the car has the same speed at points A and E ...
You cannot assert that the change in kinetic energy is actually negative because that changes the question very radically.

haruspex said:
No, the cart is at the same speed, so no (net) KE was lost. (PE was lost.) What does that tell you about the work done on the cart?

Wait but this is how I understood it:

Point A had potential energy, and [K] kinetic energy
Point E has [U2] potential energy, which is less than .
If the system (cart and track) is energy conserving, then the decrease in must be transferred to an increase in [K]
Therefore, the kinetic energy at E should be [K2], which is more than [K]

But the kinetic energy stayed the same. So a dissipating force, (probably air drag) is where the extra kinetic energy ([K2] - [K]) went.
Wouldn't this be a loss of kinetic energy?

Ohhh are you guys saying:

The potential energy at E is less than the potential energy at A?
(Without reference to the kinetic energy)

So thus the change in potential is negative, therefore the work done is positive?

HaoPhysics said:
Ohhh are you guys saying:

The potential energy at E is less than the potential energy at A?
(Without reference to the kinetic energy)

So thus the change in potential is negative, therefore the work done is positive?
It s certainly zero for the cart, but what it is for the system depends on how the system is defined. The question does not specify. Is it cart plus the whole of the Earth, including the track, or is it cart plus track, separated at some boundary from the rest of the Earth?
When the cart loses PE, what is doing work on what?

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

How does conservation of energy apply to a roller coaster?

In a roller coaster, the potential energy of the coaster at the top of a hill is converted into kinetic energy as it travels down the hill. As the coaster moves up and down, energy is constantly being transferred and transformed between potential and kinetic forms, but the total amount of energy remains the same.

Why is conservation of energy important for a roller coaster?

Conservation of energy is important for a roller coaster because it ensures the safety and stability of the ride. If energy was not conserved, the coaster could potentially lose too much speed and fail to make it over a hill or turn, leading to a dangerous situation for riders.

How does the design of a roller coaster impact conservation of energy?

The design of a roller coaster is crucial in maintaining conservation of energy. In order for the coaster to successfully complete its course, the design must take into account factors such as the height and steepness of hills, the amount of potential and kinetic energy needed at different points, and the friction of the track.

What happens if conservation of energy is not maintained in a roller coaster?

If conservation of energy is not maintained in a roller coaster, the ride could potentially fail and cause harm to riders. For example, if there is not enough kinetic energy at the bottom of a hill, the coaster may not have enough speed to make it up the next hill and could potentially roll backwards. Alternatively, if there is too much energy at a turn, the coaster may derail. Proper design and maintenance of the roller coaster is crucial in ensuring conservation of energy is maintained.