Gravitational Potential In the Field Caused by Two Masses

In summary: Yes well I think @kuruman meant to say that we need to do additional work, that is calculate the angles of the triangle, and do vectorial add of the two contributions.Actually, it was a final version of an initial posting that edited late at night. Here is why. Initially, the numbers didn't sit well with me and they still don't. The spheres are not point masses otherwise the problem would not have said "spheres". I believe that to answer the questions, the actual density of the spheres would be needed. Even if the spheres were made of osmium, the densest element with ρ = 22.56×103 kg/m3, the 800
BrandonInFlorida
Homework Statement
An 800-kg mass and a 600-kg mass are separated by 0.25 meter. (a) What is the gravitational field strength due to these masses at a point 0.20 meter from the 800-kg mass and 0.15 meter from the 600-kg mass? (b) What is the gravitation potential at this point due to these same masses?

Answers:

a. 2.2 x 10 to the -6 m/s2

b. -5.3 x 10 to the -7 joules/kg
Relevant Equations
U = GM1M2/R
I got (a) but have no idea about b. Potential fields aren't just additive all the time are they?

Physics news on Phys.org
BrandonInFlorida said:
Potential fields aren't just additive all the time are they?
They are. Have you tried just adding them?

BrandonInFlorida said:
I got (a) but have no idea about b.
Can you explain how you got (a)?

I don't understand where the point of interest lies. I assume that the given 0.25 m separation is center-to-center. If so, the point of interest doesn't fit on the line joining the centers because it is 0.20 m from the 800-kg and 0.15 from the 600 kg sphere, and 0.25 < 0.20 + 0.15. If the point of interest is not on the center-to-center line, we need more information about the point's location to do part (a).

Likes Delta2
kuruman said:
we need more information about the point's location to do part (a).
Why? The triangle is completely determined by the three distances.

Likes Delta2
Yes well I think @kuruman meant to say that we need to do additional work, that is calculate the angles of the triangle, and do vectorial add of the two contributions.

Likes kuruman
Delta2 said:
Yes well I think @kuruman meant to say that we need to do additional work, that is calculate the angles of the triangle, and do vectorial add of the two contributions.
Since @BrandonInFlorida claims to have got that part right, I presume he did all that.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
Since @BrandonInFlorida claims to have got that part right, I presume he did all that.
yes well and it seems to me he did the hard part but he couldn't do the easy part that needs just scalar addition. But ok I guess he didn't know that potentials add just like two scalars.

BrandonInFlorida said:
I got (a) but have no idea about b. Potential fields aren't just additive all the time are they?
If forces are additive and the gradient of the potential then we have:
$$\vec F = \vec F_1 + \vec F_2 = -\nabla U_1 - \nabla U_2 = -\nabla(U_1 + U_2)$$
Hence, ##U = U_1 + U_2## will do nicely as the potential for the system.

Delta2 said:
Actually, it was a final version of an initial posting that edited late at night. Here is why. Initially, the numbers didn't sit well with me and they still don't. The spheres are not point masses otherwise the problem would not have said "spheres". I believe that to answer the questions, the actual density of the spheres would be needed. Even if the spheres were made of osmium, the densest element with ρ = 22.56×103 kg/m3, the 800-kg sphere would have a radius of 20.4 cm and the 600-kg sphere a radius of 18.5 cm. Not only the point of interest is inside both spheres no matter what their composition, but also the spheres would overlap. That would make the calculation interesting but not undoable.

Eventually, I decided to omit all that as too much of an aside and go with the point sphere model (I even calculated that the spheres could be made of neutron star material with a radius of 11 microns). it seems that I butchered the original version when I changed its scope.

BrandonInFlorida said:
Relevant Equations:: U = GM1M2/R
Hi @BrandonInFlorida . I’d like to highlight some points in addition to what the others have said.

Your formula “U = GM1M2/R should be “U = -GM1M2/R”. Gravitational potential energy is negative in this context.

(For information, the formula applies to two spherically symmetric (or point), non-overlapping masses, where R is their centre-to-centre distance.)

But, even corrected, this is the wrong formula for this question!

In your formula, U is the gravitational potential energy of a system of 2 masses. But you are not being asked to find U. You are being asked for the gravitational potential (say ‘V’) at a particular point.

The gravitational potential at a point P outside of a single spherically symmetric (or point) mass, M, is
##V = - \frac {GM}{r}## where r is the distance from M's centre to P.

At a given point you can simply add potentials arising from different masses to get the total potential at that point.

Likes Delta2
kuruman said:
Can you explain how you got (a)?

I don't understand where the point of interest lies. I assume that the given 0.25 m separation is center-to-center. If so, the point of interest doesn't fit on the line joining the centers because it is 0.20 m from the 800-kg and 0.15 from the 600 kg sphere, and 0.25 < 0.20 + 0.15. If the point of interest is not on the center-to-center line, we need more information about the point's location to do part (a).
I figured out that it was a right triangle. That was the additional information I needed, and I did get the answer at the back of the book.

Likes Delta2 and kuruman
Steve4Physics said:
Hi @BrandonInFlorida . I’d like to highlight some points in addition to what the others have said.

Your formula “U = GM1M2/R should be “U = -GM1M2/R”. Gravitational potential energy is negative in this context.

(For information, the formula applies to two spherically symmetric (or point), non-overlapping masses, where R is their centre-to-centre distance.)

But, even corrected, this is the wrong formula for this question!

In your formula, U is the gravitational potential energy of a system of 2 masses. But you are not being asked to find U. You are being asked for the gravitational potential (say ‘V’) at a particular point.

The gravitational potential at a point P outside of a single spherically symmetric (or point) mass, M, is
##V = - \frac {GM}{r}## where r is the distance from M's centre to P.

At a given point you can simply add potentials arising from different masses to get the total potential at that point.
Yes, I stated this sloppily. Everything you've said is true. My issue was that even after I wrote this post when I found out that people say the potentials from the individual masses are additive, it didn't seem obvious to me. I thought you could get a case where the potentials oppose each other rather than just adding. Finally, I decided that if you look at it as the two individual masses each doing work on an object being brought in from infinity, I could see that it would be additive.

Likes Steve4Physics
PeroK said:
If forces are additive and the gradient of the potential then we have:
$$\vec F = \vec F_1 + \vec F_2 = -\nabla U_1 - \nabla U_2 = -\nabla(U_1 + U_2)$$
Hence, ##U = U_1 + U_2## will do nicely as the potential for the system.
Good point!

1. What is gravitational potential in the field caused by two masses?

Gravitational potential in the field caused by two masses is a measure of the potential energy of an object at a certain point in space, due to the gravitational force exerted by two masses.

2. How is gravitational potential calculated?

Gravitational potential is calculated using the formula V = -GM/r, where V is the gravitational potential, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object creating the gravitational field, and r is the distance between the object and the point where the potential is being measured.

3. What is the relationship between gravitational potential and gravitational force?

The relationship between gravitational potential and gravitational force is that the force exerted by an object on another object is equal to the negative gradient of the potential function. In other words, the force is stronger where the potential is steeper.

4. How does the gravitational potential change as distance between two masses increases?

The gravitational potential decreases as the distance between two masses increases. This is because the force of gravity decreases with distance, and therefore the potential energy of an object at a certain point also decreases.

5. Can gravitational potential be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential can be negative. This occurs when the two masses are attracting each other, and the potential energy of an object at a certain point is lower than the potential energy at infinity.