GCSE Physics : Temperature & Gravitational potential energy

In summary: The question is how far does it move. Try plotting it. In summary, a student rotates a tube filled with lead shots 50 times, causing a total decrease in the gravitational potential energy of 24.5J. Based on the Specific Heat Capacity of lead shots (160J/kg°C), the rise in temperature after 50 rotations can be calculated. However, the actual temperature rise is likely to be less than this calculated value due to factors such as friction and air resistance. It is also important to note that the net change in gravitational potential energy is zero, as the lead shots fall back to their original position after each rotation. The exact amount of GPE lost in each rotation would depend on the specific height and gravitational field strength
BTEC Michio Kaku

Homework Statement

Q7. Some lead shot with a mass of 50 grams is placed into a card board box the distance from one end to the other being 1m. The ends are sealed with rubber bungs in order to prevent the lead shots from falling out, the tube is rotated so the lead shots fall down from one end to hit the rubber bung at the opposite end.

A) A student rotates the tube 50 times. Calculate the total decrease in the gravitational potential energy store of the lead shot in the process.

B) The Specific Heat Capacity of the lead shots is 160J/kg°c . Calculate the rise in temperature after the tube has been rotated 50 times.

C) Why is the temperature rise of the lead shot likely to be less than what was calculated in part B.

Homework Equations

Gravitational potential energy = mass x gravitational field strength x height
Change in temperature= Change in energy / mass x specific heat capacity
Final GPE - Initial GPE[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Question A ) Firstly, I had calculated the initial GPE of the lead shots which I had derived to be 0.5J ( Note: The value 10 was used for gravitational field strength) as I had done GPE = 0.05kg x 10N/M x 1m. As for the second value because it was said to be flipped 50 times I had multiplied the height by 50, this meant that I did GPE= 0.05kg x 10N/M x 50 = 25J . Assuming the second set of values is the final GPE I did 25J - 0.5J= 24.5J lost

As for the other two questions I could not think of anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
A) If we turn it 50 times, that is an even number, so maybe I would expect GPE at the end to be the same as at the start?
B) The second equation has everything you need to work out the temp rise when 25J of energy is given to the lead. You know mass and SHC.

BTEC Michio Kaku said:
A student rotates the tube 50 times.
It is unclear whether a rotation is 180 degrees or 360.
Judging from this:
BTEC Michio Kaku said:
the tube is rotated so the lead shots fall down from one end to hit the rubber bung at the opposite end.
it probably means 180.
BTEC Michio Kaku said:
total decrease in the gravitational potential energy
This is not clear either. As tech99 points out, the net change in GPE is zero. But you are almost surely right to interpret this as being the sum of all the GPEs lost in each rotation.

BTEC Michio Kaku said:
the second set of values is the final GPE
What second set of values? Why subtract one rotation?
BTEC Michio Kaku said:
for the other two questions I could not think of anything.
What happened to all that lost GPE?
tech99 said:
If we turn it 50 times, that is an even number
Since the shot moves to the end each (half) rotation, it makes no difference whether it is odd or even.

1. What is temperature and how does it affect matter?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. It is affected by the speed and movement of the particles, and as temperature increases, the particles move faster and have more energy.

2. How is temperature measured and what units are used?

Temperature is typically measured using a thermometer, which can be filled with a liquid such as mercury or alcohol that expands or contracts with temperature changes. The most commonly used unit for temperature is degrees Celsius (°C), but it can also be measured in Kelvin (K) or Fahrenheit (°F).

3. What is gravitational potential energy and how is it related to height?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is directly proportional to an object's mass and the height at which it is located. The higher the object is located, the greater its potential energy.

4. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. The unit of measurement for GPE is Joules (J).

5. How does temperature affect gravitational potential energy?

Temperature does not directly affect gravitational potential energy. However, changes in temperature can indirectly affect GPE by causing objects to expand or contract, potentially changing their height and therefore their potential energy.