Gravitational waves: effect of frequency on strain

In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between flux of energy and strain in gravitational waves. It is mentioned that the flux of energy is directly related to the frequency of radiation and inflicted strain, and that strain may decrease with frequency if flux is kept constant. However, this may not necessarily mean a decrease in overall strain, as the source may be closer or more massive.
RyuuJin
Hi guys. I am having a little trouble understanding a few relations professor mentioned at lectures, regarding gravitational waves - flux of energy and strain.

First one expresses how is the flux of energy F related to frequency of radiation f and inflicted strain h. And the second one is for strain.

Untitled.png

I can't quite understand, why would flux (or strain) decrease with frequency? Shouldn't strain get higher (e.g. inspiral of black holes)??

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
RyuuJin said:
Hi guys. I am having a little trouble understanding a few relations professor mentioned at lectures, regarding gravitational waves - flux of energy and strain.

First one expresses how is the flux of energy F related to frequency of radiation f and inflicted strain h. And the second one is for strain.

View attachment 200262

I can't quite understand, why would flux (or strain) decrease with frequency? Shouldn't strain get higher (e.g. inspiral of black holes)??

Thanks!
It is increasing with f. f2 is positive.

edit, I know almost nothing about gravity waves. Just looking at (f/1kHz). "f" is a frequency. "1/1kHz" makes that a dimensionless term. Your flux has to be in dimensions W/m2. A 2 kilohertz radiation frequency would be 2kHz/1kHz = 2. So a source with 2 kilohertz has 4 times the flux as a source with 1 kilohertz.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't write correctly (I am going to edit now). Actually both my questions are regarding strain. In the first equation, if you want to keep flux constant, than with higher frequency you get lower strain?? Why would that be?

RyuuJin said:

View attachment 200262

Thanks!
EDIT: Sorry didn't write the question right: I can't quite understand, why would strain decrease with frequency (if you keep flux constant)? Shouldn't strain get higher (e.g. inspiral of black holes)??

RyuuJin said:
EDIT: Sorry didn't write the question right: I can't quite understand, why would strain decrease with frequency (if you keep flux constant)? Shouldn't strain get higher (e.g. inspiral of black holes)??

A 100 stellar mass black hole binary would increase energy radiation has they spiral in.
-A 2 second orbital period radiates 1/4th the energy of a 1 second orbit.
-A 400 stellar mass black hole binary with 2 second orbital period radiates the same energy as a 100 stellar mass binary with 1 second orbital period.
-A 100 stellar mass black hole binary with 2 second orbital period will have a strain measurement here that is the same as a 100 stellar mass black hole binary with 1 second orbital period which is twice as far away.

Consider a source A a source B. The flux is equal but source A has 10X frequency. So source B must be closer or more massive or some combination. So you could say "source B has higher strain because it has lower frequency". Really source B has higher strain because it is either closer or more massive.

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time, caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity and can be thought of as the "waves" of gravity.

2. How do gravitational waves affect objects?

Gravitational waves have a stretching and squeezing effect, known as strain, on objects as they pass through them. This can cause changes in the distance between objects, but these changes are incredibly small and can only be detected by sensitive instruments.

3. How does the frequency of gravitational waves impact their strain?

The frequency of gravitational waves is directly proportional to their strain, meaning that as the frequency increases, so does the strain. This is because higher frequency waves have more energy and can cause larger changes in the fabric of space-time.

4. Can gravitational waves be detected?

Yes, gravitational waves have been detected by several observatories around the world. The most well-known detection was made by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) in 2015, which detected the merger of two black holes.

5. What is the importance of studying gravitational waves?

Studying gravitational waves can provide us with valuable information about the universe and its history. They can also help us understand the behavior of massive objects, such as black holes and neutron stars. Additionally, gravitational waves can potentially be used as a new way to observe and study the universe, providing a complementary method to traditional telescopes and instruments.