Need help with some calculations with gravitational waves

In summary, the first discovery paper on gravitational waves utilizes General Relativity and numeric modelling to calculate the masses of the merging black holes, estimate the energy radiated away in gravitational waves, and determine the approximate distance of the event based on the signal's amplitude. The later paper "Properties of the Binary Black Hole Merger GW150914" provides more detail on the angle between the orbital plane of the binary black hole and the direction to Earth.
Meerio
I have some questions about the first discovery paper that was released about gravitational waves, especially some of the maths.

How did they:
1. Calculate the masses of the black holes that merged
2. Calculate the energy radiated away in gravitational waves
3. Calculate how far away the event happened

(I assume the third can be calculated with a formula that involves amplitude, but I am yet to find the right formula's for any of these)

Sorry if this is easily solvible but I couldn't find the answers myself.

Paper: https://physics.aps.org/featured-article-pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think this is probably how it was done:
1. As mentioned in the paper, the frequency and rate of change of frequency determine the "chirp mass" which gives the basic mass scale. Numeric modelling based on General Relativity with varying parameters is used to recreate the shape of the wave form in figure 2 to give the likely individual masses.
2. The radiated energy is estimated using General Relativity from a model of the merger given the identified masses.
3. The amplitude of the signal is compared with the theoretical amplitude at a given distance for that amount of energy to establish the approximate distance.

Likes Meerio
Thank you very much if anyone knows whether this is true or not please confirm!

What is the angle between the orbital plane of the binary hole, and the direction to Earth?

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time that are produced by massive accelerating objects, such as merging black holes or neutron stars. They were predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity and were first observed in 2015.

2. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using precision equipment called interferometers, such as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO). These instruments measure tiny distortions in space-time caused by passing gravitational waves.

3. What calculations are involved in studying gravitational waves?

The study of gravitational waves involves complex mathematical calculations, including the use of Einstein's field equations and numerical relativity techniques. These calculations help researchers understand the properties of the source of the waves and the characteristics of the waves themselves.

4. What are the potential applications of gravitational wave research?

Gravitational wave research has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe and its origins. It can also help us detect and study objects that are invisible to traditional telescopes, such as black holes. Additionally, it may lead to the development of new technologies, such as more precise navigation systems.

5. How can I learn more about gravitational waves?

There are many resources available for learning more about gravitational waves, including books, online courses, and scientific articles. You can also visit the websites of organizations such as LIGO or the European Gravitational Observatory to stay updated on the latest research and discoveries in this field.