Frequency of Gravitational Waves: Limit & Possibilities

In summary, gravitational waves are waves of force that are emitted by objects in the universe when they interact. The frequency of the waves is determined by the orbital period of the object. The wavelength of the waves is determined by how short of a period the object has before it merges.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Can gravitational waves theoretically have any wavelength, even ultra long?
A question elsewhere got me thinking about the frequencies/wavelengths of gravitational waves.

The most obvious source of gravitational waves we are finding is from merging black holes, so presumably the orbital period will directly determine the frequency of those waves, yes? So the frequency's upper bound in this case is determined only by how short of period gets before they merge.

Can frequencies get very low? Can you have a gravitational wave whose wavelength is, like, the radius of the solar system? It would have a period of about 5.5 light hours, varying sinusoidally over that time.

Is there any phenomena that could produce such a long wavelength of gravitational waves?

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Summary:: Can gravitational waves theoretically have any wavelength, even ultra long?

Is there any phenomena that could produce such a long wavelength of gravitational waves?
The Earth produces gravitational waves with a wavelength of one light-year. Other planets produce even longer wavelength waves

• Love
Likes FactChecker and DaveC426913
:doh: Of course.I over thunk it.

This render is of two bodies of comparable mass, but it works just fine with Earth-Sun:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/299520

Last edited:
Likes Dale
Dale said:
The Earth produces gravitational waves with a wavelength of one light-year. Other planets produce even longer wavelength waves
Theoretically, the solar system itself, orbiting the center of our galaxy, is emitting gravitational waves with wavelengths of hundreds of millions of light years.

Likes FactChecker, Dale and DaveC426913
Dale said:
The Earth produces gravitational waves with a wavelength of one light-year.
Half a light year to be nitpicking. The period of gravitational waves emitted by a binary system is half the period of the system’s orbit.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too and Dale
Orodruin said:
Half a light year to be nitpicking. The period of gravitational waves emitted by a binary system is half the period of the system’s orbit.
I've been tying myself in knots trying to figure out the wavelengths/frequencies. I keep thinking it's half, then double, then giving up. But this is an additional wrinkle.

Is it half the period because it's one crest per body?

So, if the two bodies were to vary widely in their mass, would the amplitude of successive wave peaks alternate between high and low?

Which suggests that @Dale is technically correct. Earth, in-and-of-itself, would produce a wave with a period of one light year. So would the Sun, and the two waves - each with period of 1ly - would be interleaved - 180 degrees out of phase. Yes?

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Is it half the period because it's one crest per body?
No. The GWs are not produced by either body separately. They are produced by the two-body system as a whole. There is no way to split up the GW into a part that comes from one body and a part that comes from the other.

Likes DaveC426913
Orodruin said:
Oh, that is interesting. I didn’t know that.

I guess that means that the quadrupole moment is the same after half an orbit. So if the system is two unequal point masses, do you know what is the lowest moment which requires a full orbit to be the same again?

To add to what Peter said, in the close to flat case, the source of the gravitational waves is the system’s quadrupole moment (or rather, its second derivative). The quadrupole period is half the period of the binary and therefore that is the period of the generated wave. A spherical body in itself has zero quadrupole moment

Orodruin said:
the source of the gravitational waves is the system’s quadrupole moment (or rather, its second derivative)
Isn't it actually the third time derivative?

DaveC426913 said:
wavelengths/frequencies. I keep thinking it's half, then double
Well, wavelength is half, frequency double.

Orodruin said:
Well, wavelength is half, frequency double.
If i did it correctly before the wrinkle, then Pluto's GW frequency will be 1 over (248 Earth years in seconds). The wrinkle means i double that.

The wavelength will be 5.5 light hours, halved.

DaveC426913 said:
The wavelength will be 5.5 light hours, halved.
No, the speed of the GW is the speed of light so wavelength is the speed of light/frequency. If you have frequency in years^-1, wavelength is the inverse of that in light years. Making the wavelength generated by the Sun-Pluto system 124 light years.

Likes DaveC426913
Orodruin said:
Some years back, I had a couple of bachelor students writing their bachelor thesis on gravitational waves from the solar system. You may find it to be of interest.
http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1120371/FULLTEXT01.pdf
Hilarious acknowledgments. You must have had a good relationship with them for them to be comfortable writing that. :smile:

Likes berkeman and DrClaude
phinds said:
Hilarious acknowledgments. You must have had a good relationship with them for them to be comfortable writing that. :smile:
I did not even remember that. I can get a bit carried away with the correction pen. Who here would have guessed?

• Haha
Likes Klystron, berkeman and phinds

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time that are caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars.

2. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using extremely sensitive instruments called interferometers, which measure tiny changes in the distance between two points caused by passing gravitational waves.

3. What is the frequency of gravitational waves?

The frequency of gravitational waves depends on the mass and distance of the objects that are producing them. The most commonly detected gravitational waves have frequencies in the range of 10 to 1000 hertz.

4. Is there a limit to the frequency of gravitational waves?

There is no known limit to the frequency of gravitational waves. However, the higher the frequency, the more difficult they are to detect due to technological limitations.

5. What are the possibilities of using gravitational waves for scientific research?

Gravitational waves provide a unique way to study the universe, allowing us to observe events that are invisible to traditional telescopes. They can also provide insight into the nature of gravity and the origin and evolution of the universe.