1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity and superpostion of two spheres

1. Jul 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure shows a spherical hollow inside a lead sphere of radius R = 4.6 m; the surface of the hollow passes through the center of the sphere and “touches” the right side of the sphere. The mass of the sphere before hollowing was M = 245 kg. With what gravitational force does the hollowed-out lead sphere attract a small sphere of mass m = 20 kg that lies at a distance d = 14 m from the center of the lead sphere, on the straight line connecting the centers of the spheres and of the hollow?
    20150719_171355_zps0voqohjg.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    20150719_194518_zpscns6hjbm.jpg

when i find the mass of the "hollowed out" sphere its much larger than the larger sphere. I dont know how else to approach this problem.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The mass of the sphere is inconsistent with its given diameter and the density of lead. I would ignore the given "lead" and calculate the density based on the given size and mass.

4. Jul 19, 2015 #3
    I updated my original photo with my calculations. Would the total force be the force of the full sphere minus the force of the "hollow" sphere? F=F1-F2? I got the wrong answer not sure where i went wrong.

5. Jul 19, 2015 #4

gneill

Your volume and density calculations don't look right to me. Can you recheck them?

6. Jul 19, 2015 #5
    Thank you! I am having problem getting adjusted to an hp 300s+, I often have to double check its picking up all the buttons i press.

7. Jul 20, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Right (if you take both F1 and F2 to be positive).
    A quick check: is your mass ratio 1 to 8?
    The ratio of forces should be a bit smaller than that (1 to 7.something or 6.something) as the smaller sphere is a bit closer. If that is not true, something is wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted