1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Gravity assist and increasing orbital energy

1. May 4, 2016 #1
    Hi, so whilst doing some reading I came across a section that said the most efficient way to increase your orbital energy when in an elliptical orbit is to fire your 'boosters' at perigee. I understand that the satellite is moving faster, but why should this mean that more energy is imparted to the satellite than when fired at apogee, assuming the change in the velocity is the same in both cases? It makes intuitive sense, but not logical sense (or at least not to me)

Many thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2016 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Consider the kinetic energy increase from Δv => 1/2 m (v + Δv)2 = 1/2 m (v2 + 2 v Δv + Δv2). Note that the energy increase includes the term v Δv, so a higher v with the same Δv means a higher increase in energy.

4. May 4, 2016 #3
    You, my friend, are a star

5. May 4, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Just curious -- you mention Gravity Assist in your thread title, but not in your post. Should I update the title? Thanks. :smile:

6. May 5, 2016 #5
    Well I assumed this is a form of gravity assist since you need the gravity to speed up your orbit at perigee to then be able to fire your thrusters to increase your orbital energy, more so than at perigee. But if you don't feel the title is fitting, then please feel free :)

7. May 5, 2016 #6

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

What you have described is the Oberth effect. More commonly, "gravity assist" refers to a slingshot maneuver where a craft passes closely behind a planet or moon to gain speed or closely ahead to dump speed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_assist

8. May 5, 2016 #7
    Thanks for the correction :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted