Gravity assist and increasing orbital energy

In summary, the most efficient way to increase orbital energy in an elliptical orbit is by firing boosters at perigee. The increase in energy is higher when fired at perigee due to the higher velocity, as seen in the equation for kinetic energy increase. The term "gravity assist" typically refers to a slingshot maneuver, while the concept described in the conversation is known as the Oberth effect.
Physgeek64
Hi, so whilst doing some reading I came across a section that said the most efficient way to increase your orbital energy when in an elliptical orbit is to fire your 'boosters' at perigee. I understand that the satellite is moving faster, but why should this mean that more energy is imparted to the satellite than when fired at apogee, assuming the change in the velocity is the same in both cases? It makes intuitive sense, but not logical sense (or at least not to me)

Many thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the kinetic energy increase from Δv => 1/2 m (v + Δv)2 = 1/2 m (v2 + 2 v Δv + Δv2). Note that the energy increase includes the term v Δv, so a higher v with the same Δv means a higher increase in energy.

rcgldr said:
Consider the kinetic energy increase from Δv => 1/2 m (v + Δv)2 = 1/2 m (v2 + 2 v Δv + Δv2). Note that the energy increase includes the term v Δv, so a higher v with the same Δv means a higher increase in energy.

You, my friend, are a star

Physgeek64 said:
Hi, so whilst doing some reading I came across a section that said the most efficient way to increase your orbital energy when in an elliptical orbit is to fire your 'boosters' at perigee. I understand that the satellite is moving faster, but why should this mean that more energy is imparted to the satellite than when fired at apogee, assuming the change in the velocity is the same in both cases? It makes intuitive sense, but not logical sense (or at least not to me)

Many thanks :)
Just curious -- you mention Gravity Assist in your thread title, but not in your post. Should I update the title? Thanks. :smile:

berkeman said:
Just curious -- you mention Gravity Assist in your thread title, but not in your post. Should I update the title? Thanks. :smile:

Well I assumed this is a form of gravity assist since you need the gravity to speed up your orbit at perigee to then be able to fire your thrusters to increase your orbital energy, more so than at perigee. But if you don't feel the title is fitting, then please feel free :)

Physgeek64 said:
Well I assumed this is a form of gravity assist since you need the gravity to speed up your orbit at perigee to then be able to fire your thrusters to increase your orbital energy, more so than at perigee. But if you don't feel the title is fitting, then please feel free :)
What you have described is the Oberth effect. More commonly, "gravity assist" refers to a slingshot maneuver where a craft passes closely behind a planet or moon to gain speed or closely ahead to dump speed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_assist

jbriggs444 said:
What you have described is the Oberth effect. More commonly, "gravity assist" refers to a slingshot maneuver where a craft passes closely behind a planet or moon to gain speed or closely ahead to dump speed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_assist

Thanks for the correction :)

1. What is a gravity assist and how does it work?

A gravity assist, also known as a slingshot maneuver, is a technique used by spacecraft to increase their speed and change their trajectory without using additional fuel. This is accomplished by using the gravitational pull of a planet or other massive object to gain momentum.

2. Can gravity assist be used to increase the orbital energy of a spacecraft?

Yes, gravity assist can be used to increase the orbital energy of a spacecraft. By gaining momentum from the gravitational pull of a planet, the spacecraft's velocity and kinetic energy increase, and thus its orbital energy also increases.

3. How does the direction of the spacecraft's approach affect the effectiveness of a gravity assist?

The direction of the spacecraft's approach is crucial in determining the effectiveness of a gravity assist. Ideally, the spacecraft should approach the planet in the same direction as the planet's orbit around the sun. This allows the spacecraft to gain the maximum amount of momentum from the planet's gravity.

4. Are there any risks associated with using gravity assist?

While gravity assist is a commonly used and safe technique, there are potential risks involved. If the spacecraft approaches too close to the planet, it may experience a significant gravitational pull that could alter its trajectory or even cause a collision. Careful planning and calculations are necessary to ensure a successful gravity assist maneuver.

5. How has gravity assist been used in space exploration missions?

Gravity assist has been used in numerous space exploration missions, including the iconic Voyager and Cassini missions. These spacecraft have used gravity assists from multiple planets to travel to the outer reaches of our solar system. Gravity assist has also been used to send spacecraft to other planets, such as the Galileo mission to Jupiter and the New Horizons mission to Pluto.